Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Is it possible to use Virtual Link Trunking in a mixed Dell and Cisco environment?

Hi,

My service provider is Cisco and they provide the firewall and routers as a managed service. My internal network uses Dell Power Connect switches. In the past we had an issue where the ISP's spanning tree costs leaked onto my network and caused some network outages - I'm thinking of trying to use Dell virtual trunking protocol instead of spanning tree, but am not sure if this would be feasible in a mixed Cisco and Dell environment.

Please advise.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 14:00

I am not 100% of the feature you are referencing. Do you have a page in the owners manual, a wiki, white page or anything else that talks about "Dell virtual trunking protocol"?

When using spanning tree you can manually set spanning priority/costs which enables you to control which ports are root, designated, and blocking.

You could

34 Posts

August 18th, 2013 13:00

I'm referring to this, but am not sure if I can use it in my environment - I use a lot of PowerConnect 6224 switches and my ISP uses Cisco

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2013 09:00

Virtual Link Trunking is a Force10 feature, not a PowerConnect feature. Are you looking at switching to Force10, or are you wanting to stay with PowerConnect?

en.community.dell.com/.../vlt-virtual-link-trunking-maximizing-datacenter-capacity-with-dell-force10-switches.aspx

No Events found!