Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 5th, 2015 09:00

LAG connection for Server on paired 5448's

Good Day PowerConnect fans

I currently have a Dell 2950 with a dual port BCM5708 and dual port BCM5709 NICs. I want to use the BACS 4 LACP teaming option toi connect these ports over two 5448's that are connected using LACP. I created a port-channel on each switch and have two Gig  ports assigned to the port channel. the set up is

interface port-channel 7
description NIC_Team_IOFSPROD001

interface range ethernet g(17-18)
channel-group 7 mode auto

I have not set a mode to the Port-channel, I am not sure what it should be

I have a connection one from each NIC to each switch so one connection from the BCM5708 and one from the BCM5709 to switch one and the same to switch two

I have all 4 NIC ports in the BACS 4 team using LACP

What do I need to configure to get it to work properly?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2015 12:00

The 4 NIC ports that are teamed together, need to plug into a LAG/Channel group that also has 4 ports in it and is set to LACP. Mode auto will set the LAG to LACP, mode on would set it to static. Once you have the 4 ports in the LAG together you need to configure the LAG. To do so you need to enter the port-channel interface.

(config)# interface port-channel 7

Then you can set the port-channel to access mode, Trunk mode, etc.

Page 351 of the user guide has some further details.

http://bit.ly/1xLjeNF

Hope this helps

79 Posts

January 7th, 2015 08:00

Daniel

Thanks so much for your response I appreciate it very much. Since I have 4 ports spread across two switches (these two 5448's are connected via port channels to two Force 10 S25's) and a port-channel on each switch containing two ports, what would be the best mode to use? I always use "general" mode. But since it is a Single server with a single IP, would "access" be appropriate? also Do I need to add the VLAN to the Port-channel?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2015 08:00

I apologize, I gave you some incorrect info in my original post. I was thinking that the two switches were stacked together, in which case you would use one 4 port LAG. With the two switches being separate, you would create one 2 port LAG on each switch. On the server side you will also need to create two 2 port teams in LACP mode, 1 team for each switch. Since the server is only participating in one VLAN, I would set the port channels that connect to the server to access mode for the appropriate VLAN. For the switch to switch connection i would use Trunk or General mode, and be sure that all the VLANs are included.

Example:

console(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

console(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2,3,4,5,6

Cheers

79 Posts

January 7th, 2015 15:00

Daniel,

Thanks so much I am going to configure it as such and I will give you an update

No Events found!