Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2012 02:00

Layer 3 Switch Configuration

Hi everyone,

Without going into to many details of my serious short comings and apparent lack of understanding how to read/interput manuals I was hoping for a little assistance.

Our company is attempting to save some money and looking towards some of the Dell PowerConnect line to do so.

I have a PowerConnect 6224 that I would like have act as my layer 3. I have a few 5524's that will all be my access layer switches. Below is what I'd like to accomplish:

• Create 6 routable vlans for 192.168.11.0/24 - 16/24
  • Have a separate isolated switch management vlan - 192.168.10.0/24
  • Have all vlans available on the 5524's (tagged between the 6224 and 5524's)
  • Lastly, is there a way to assign an IP address to a physical interface on the 6224 or do I have to create a vlan and assign the interface to that vlan?
I'd post my config but in all honesty I just need to start from scratch. 
I'm pretty disappointed that I needed post to the forum. My pride is in the garbage so go easy on me.
Thanks,
-John

802 Posts

June 11th, 2012 10:00

Create 6 routable vlans for 192.168.11.0/24 - 16/24

Creating VLANs

console> enable

console# config

console(config)# vlan database

console(config-vlan)# vlan 2

console(config-vlan)# exit

console(config)# interface vlan 2

console(config-if)# ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

console(config-if)# routing               (enables routing on this vlan)

console(config-if)# name Marketing       (whatever name you choose)

console(config-if)# end

Have a separate isolated switch management vlan - 192.168.10.0/24

console# config

console(config)# ip address 192.168.10.0 /24

Have all vlans available on the 5524's (tagged between the 6224 and 5524's)

Run this on the 6224:

console# configure

console(config)# interface ethernet XXX                         (whatever interface is connecting between the 6224 and 5524)

console(config-if)# switchport mode general

console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 100 tagged          (Add a similar line for each VLAN that you have going over the connection)

console(config-if)# end

Run this on the 5524:

console# configure

console(config)# interface ethernet XXX                         (whatever interface is connecting between the 6224 and 5524)

console(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

console(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100 tagged          (Add a similar line for each VLAN that you have going over the connection)

console(config-if)# end

Lastly, is there a way to assign an IP address to a physical interface on the 6224 or do I have to create a vlan and assign the interface to that vlan?

console# configure

console(config)# interface ethernet XXX                         

console(config-if)# ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Hope this helps,

I'm sure there will be other questions,  this will get a good start.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the reply Willy.

Interesting, it's mode general on the 6200 and trunk on the 5500 on tagged interfaces.

I was unable to assign an IP address directly to the 6200. My only options under the interface after issue IP are access-group, arp, dhcp, and igmp. I created a routed vlan and assigned that interface to that vlan so it is working.

I have all the above setup but still have one issue. When I have a workstation attached to the 5500 the only way I can reach it is if I use the switchport general allowed vlan add 10 untagged. I thought the correct syntax is switchport access vlan 10. The problem I see with the general command at the access layer is that it doesn't matter what vlan ID I add connectivity always works. Very confusing....

Thanks again for helping me through this.

-John

1 Message

February 11th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, but i'm still getting the 

"the static route will not take effect until a rouing interface belonging to the same subnet as the next hop IP is created and activated"

I moved managment to a different vlan, so that i can route vlan 1.

But you say this:

"I created a routed vlan and assigned that interface to that vlan so it is working."

How did you do that? Can you show me the config?

1 Message

November 17th, 2021 00:00

How did you do that? Can you show me the config?

• 

3.4K Posts

November 17th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

maybe this article can be interesting for you. What issue are you encountering?

https://dell.to/3ozcmAB

Thanks

Marco

No Events found!