Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2006 21:00

Linksys Wireless Broadband router and Powerconnect 3424 Switch

I am having a weird problem with DHCP...I have the wireless router configured in AP mode only and have it assigned an IP address on my network and is directly connected to the 3424 switch.  If i manually setup the IP on a wireless client I can see the network, but if I setup the client to get an IP via DHCP it fails.  I have a lot about STP and possible problems with DHCP but not sure this is my problem...Even if I do a release/renew after my workstation has booted, I still get no DHCP but can connect if I manually set an IP...Am I missing somethign here, I have done this a dozen times on other switches...Thanks..Jeff

July 18th, 2006 12:00

I'm a bit confused about the problem.  Let me see if I can clarify the question:

• You have a wireless AP connected to the 3424 which is your gateway to your network.
  • You have a wirelesss client which is actually connected to the AP over-the-air and getting its IP address from the AP.  So the wireless client is connecting through the AP to the 3424 and then to the rest of the network.
  • When you manually configure the wireless client IP address you can connect through the AP and then through the 3424 to the network but if you let the AP assign the IP address to the client then although the client is given an IP address by the AP it is not able to connect to the network through the AP and the 3424?
  • Actually I'm not sure by your description if you are getting an IP from the AP or not.  Are you saying that the AP didn't give the wireless client an IP at all or that it did but the client can't connect in that case?
  • If you are saying that the AP never granted a DHCP address to the wireless client at all then the problem is not related to the 3424 switch.  The wireless client is requesting the DHCP address from the AP directly over-the-air to the AP and is not going through the 3424 switch to do that.  In this case check that the AP DHCP server is enabled; check to see that the AP block of assigned address is large enough to accomodate all the clients (some linksys model limit the number of assigned address to a block of no more the 256); check to see if you have MAC address security enabled on the AP - if you do then make sure the wireless client is allowed access (actually it should be if it works when you configure the IP statically).

Let me ask some additional questions assuming that the AP actually did provide the wireless client with an IP address:

• What is the IP subnet used by the rest of the network and what is the management IP address assigned to the 3424?
  • When you manually configure an IP address for the wireless client, what is the address you configured?
  • When the AP assign the IP address what IP address did it assign to the wireless client?

Cuong.

11 Posts

July 18th, 2006 12:00

Sorry I was in a little hurry when I typed this...I apologize for the confusion.

The client is getting a IP address from an internal Windows 2003 Server running DHCP services.  I'm just using the AP as a gateway to the network.  If I assign a static IP to the Wireless client, then it works fine, but if I try to get an IP dynamically if fails. 

11 Posts

July 18th, 2006 13:00

DHCP Server is connected to 3424 (10.34.1.x)

AP is connected to same 3424 Switch

Laptop connected wireless to Linksys AP

If I assign a static IP to Wireless interface on the laptop, i can connect to the network...If I configure the laptop for DHCP, which I should be able to receive through my wireless connection, it fails to acquire an address.

No problem.  Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Cuong.

I'm sorry I'm still confused.  Can you explain how your network is setup?

You have a 3424 and it is connected to the AP.  Is the AP the connection to the network or is the 3424 the connection to the network?  Is the workstation (you call it a wireless client - do you mean a workstation or are you referring to the AP itself when you say wireless client) connected via 802.11 (a/b/g) to the AP directly or do you have a workstation connected to the 3424 (hard wire) which is trying to get its IP address from the AP?  Where is your DHCP server connected?  Is it connected to the 3424?  Is it connected somewhere else in the network?  When the "wireless client" is trying to get its IP address from the DHCP server what path does it take?  Does it go through the AP to the 3424 to the server?  Does it go through the 3424 to the AP to something else then to the server?

Cuong.

11 Posts

thanks for you help...

I have other workstations that are connected to the Switch that are getting DHCP addresses and the AP is assigned a static IP address.  I assumed it was probably an issue on the AP, but just making sure it wasn't a switch issue.

Ok that helps.  So STP is not the problem on the 3424 in this case because AP & servers are already connected so its not the convergence time of these devices that's a problem.  Now the linksys router does have some security features which may be enabled and could be blocking broadcast so check to see if perhaps the linksys AP is blocking broadcast which would block DHCP from working.  Also do you have VLAN configured on your network?

One thing you can try is to connect the laptop directly to the 3424 and see if you can get a DHCP address from the server when directly connected.  If you can then at least you can eliminate the 3424 and the server from the mix and concentrate on the AP.  BTW does the linksys AP getting its IP through DHCP also or is it static?  If the AP is getting IP from DHCP server then at least you know its working through the 3424 then you can concentrate on the AP settings.

Cuong.
No Events found!