Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

December 6th, 2022 11:00

MAC binding in DellEMC N1124T-ON

Hi, 

I have DellEMC N1124T-ON switches and i am trying to apply MAC based port security or MAC-binding for network interfaces so that whenever an unrecognized MAC connects to interface the port should be shutdown.

So far i have tried official guide/ Manual for DellEMC N1124T-ON available on

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/networking-n1100-series_user's%20guide10_en-us.pdf

and official website ----

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000121440/how-to-configure-mac-based-port-security-on-dell-n2000-n3000-and-n4000-series-switches

following are the running-config of interfaces

IMG_20221206_153106.jpg

But nothing seems to work as multiple devices with different MAC address can connect to same interface. Port should shutdown if any unrecognized MAC try to connect through that port

Thanks

• 

3.1K Posts

December 6th, 2022 18:00

Hi @netyoti,

I'm not that good at networking, but upon checking the document you found, your commands seems to be correct but missing on defining the static MAC that you want to bind the port with. Hence, probably you want to check out page 669 of the official guide that you posted.

2 Posts

December 7th, 2022 02:00

Hi @DELL-Joey C ,

Thanks for your response but binding a static MAC to a port is an ideal scenario when we have limited number of ports but when the number of switches increases and the ports too, adding a specific static MAC to each port is a complex job.

When no static MAC is given to a port then the ports automatically learns the very first MAC which connects to that port and when any other device with different MAC try to connect with that port it shutdown upon this violation. I hope you got my point. 

Thanks

• 

2.1K Posts

December 7th, 2022 04:00

Hi, I'm not sure if this will work but you can change dynamic learning to 0 and check.

Command Parameters
console#config Enter configuration mode.
console(config)#interface gi1/0/5 Enter specific interface that needs port security.
console(config-if-gi1/0/5)#switchport port-security dynamic 0 This example uses 0 as you would normally want the port not to learn macs dynamically.  Range is <0-600>   Default is 100.
No Events found!