Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

10 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 02:00

Migrating N series switches to stack config

Hello,

I have deployed a N1524 switch and the customer is so happy that wants to swap the existing old 48p switch connected to his N1524 with a new N1548. Of course, I am gonna stack them, so that I can profit of a 10 gigabit backbone between the two. The idea is that N1524 would be the master and N1548 its slave. It's my first time to do this.

Usually procedures documented online are about creating a new stack from scratch, but I haven't yet seen a procedure with an already running config in mind. First I would like to ask if the procedure I would like to adopt is correct. Second, I have some questions left.

CANDIDATE PROCEDURE

0. backup N1524 running config

1. upgrade FW on both switches

2. stack ports on running N1524 and reload

3. stack ports on N1548 and shutdown

4. connect SFP+ cables: considering it's just two switches, should I cross them (port 1 on switch N1524 with port 2 on switch N1548 and vice versa) or anything goes (like port 1 on switch N1524 with port 1 on switch N1548 and vice versa)?

5. power on N1548

QUESTIONS

1. is the above procedure correct? will the N1548 directly inherit config from N1524 (of course not for its own ports) or will configurations be somehow smoked?

2. will I see the stack as a single whole switch when connecting to N1524?

3. what happens if I connect to N1548 by serial cable? And by ssh, will it have a different IP? Will I see the same config as from N1524?

4. in case of DISASTER RECOVERY, say that uplink is on N1524 and that the same N1524 dies, what happens to N1548? Will it fall back to non-stack mode? May I configure a second uplink on it in advance (and how)? Would both uplinks work simultaneously or just as failover? Should I configure a double port on the load balancer acting as gateway above (Peplink 30) for two separate cables (one to N1524 and the other to N1548) or would it just be matter of shifting the uplink cable from dead N1524 to the dedicated port on N1548?

Thanks for your help in advance

Pasha

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 08:00

1. I suggest following this KB article when creating the stack: https://dell.to/2NlqPvw
- backup switch config
- update switches
- configure ports for stacking
- shutdown switches
- cable switches
- power on stack master
- power on stack backup

2. Correct, once the switches are stacked, they will behave as one logical unit.

3. You will not be able to SSH/Telnet directly to the member switches. The entire stack is managed as one unit, through the master switch. You can make a serial connection to the member switches, but you will not be able to do much.

4. If a device only has a connection to one switch in the stack, and that switch goes down, then the device no longer has a connection to a stack. A common task with stacked switches, is to provide link redundancy through the use of link aggregation. https://dell.to/2Gz3JQ9

Hope this helps

July 24th, 2018 03:00

Hello Daniel,

thanks for your fruitful answer.

The KB article on setup is exactly the one I had previously read, but, as you can see, it does not answer all my questions, to which satisfaction you have provided me interesting input.

As I got it, there is no particular order of the tengigabit ports for the cables, provided the resulting topology is a ring. Right?

Also, if I have correctly understood, the N1548 will become a mere extension of the N1524 and, therefore, will sport no IP or whatsoever.

What I haven't understood is what happens to the slave switch, should the master one die. You wrote that it detaches from the stack, which is obvious. There are still unsatisfied questions:

1. Does this imply that it will have a wiped away config? Or will it still have some?

2. Will it then have an IP? Or just serial console access? Or neither? If neither, will it need to be reset?

Btw, LAG would be a fine and elegant idea, the problem is that the uplink device is a Peplink 30 load balancer, and this model does not support LAG on LAN ports.

3. is there a way, apart from LAG, to map a port on slave switch just like an existing one on the master one which activates just in case of death of master switch, as a fallback? In that case bringing connectivity back would be as easy as moving one cable e.g. from port 1/0/1 to port 2/0/1.

Thanks!

Pasha

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 24th, 2018 06:00

That is correct, connect the interfaces in a ring, it does not matter if they are crossed or not. The additional stack members will not have any additional configurations, including IP addresses.

The master switch will house the configuration and the backup switch will keep a synced copy of the configuration. If the master switch goes down, the backup unit will take over as the new master, using the synced configuration file it has. When the backup unit becomes the master unit, it will then be accessible just like the previous master unit.

I think probably the best approach, would be to enable spanning tree on the Peplink 30, and let spanning tree place one of the interfaces into a discarding state. Having it configured this way, would allow one interface to be forwarding while the second interface is discarding. If the forwarding interface goes down, then the switch would see that there is no longer a loop and would place the discarding interface into a forwarding state.

July 26th, 2018 01:00

Thank you for your interesting answer!

Actually I have zero experience with STP, so my question is: should it be supported even on the Peplink or does it suffice to have it on the switches? This, because, of course, the peplink doesn't support it too.

In case the two switches would suffice, how would you configure the two ports on them?

Thanks

Pasha

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2018 05:00

The user guide indicates that spanning tree is supported.

Page 95: https://bit.ly/2LUBxsU

Spanning tree needs to be supported by both devices for it to be operational. Without the use of link aggregation or spanning tree, you might be able to configure each interface on the peplink with different IP addresses and then configure two static routes on the switch. Give one route a lower priority so that it is preferred over the other. You would need to do some testing to confirm if this kind of setup works.

Page 1494: https://dell.to/2OjHQI4

July 27th, 2018 03:00

Thanks,

I had already went though that man page, and not only the STP is only within a VPN WAN only scope, but, in any case, available only on higher models and not on Peplink 30.

But I think you gave me the right clue about ip policy route-map, looks like we're on the right path to make things work! Now, the vlan that talks with uplink is vlan 255 over a single port on N1524. When the N1548 will be stacked, besides allocating another port to vlan 255 on it, should I set the "ip policy route-map" over just the vlan or specifying ports or what?

Could you make a syntax example for this situation? Say ports are current 1/0/1 and future 2/0/1.

Thank you very much :)

Pasha

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 27th, 2018 08:00

I was referring to static route entries.

# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 {ip address of peplink interface 1} 5

# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 {ip address of peplink interface 2}10

The route map is used when configuring policy based routing. There may be a way of using policy based routing, but I'm not certain what that config would look like.

1 Attachment

July 31st, 2018 08:00

Thank you, I will use this approach.

Have a nice day!

No Events found!