Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2010 23:00

Moving a 5424 and I forget what it takes to set one of these up

Hi, I have a working PowerConnect 5424 in a colo cainet now, and will be moving it to a new location.  Currently I admin the switch via a browser.  I believe I set it up with a PC using terminal software when I first got it.

I will be powering it down, and taking it to a new location, it is going to have all the old settings.

How do I get it back to factory settings?  Or, I suppose I could change the IP just before I move, but I am not locating where to change anything other than the router IP, I do not see subnet or gateway.

Assuming that is not going to work, and I do not have access to a PC, only Macs, and do not have the adapter to get a terminal plugged right into the switch, what can I do?

If I can reset it to factory, I think in the web admin, can I then somehow plug a computer into it over Ethernet and hopefully it has a factory address that is known?

The short of it is, moving a 5424 to new IP address space, I do not have a PC to use a terminal cable, what should I do?

March 26th, 2010 09:00

Hi, i hope you find this useful, especially the information on Pg. 54, if it was me i would try to erase the configuration right here, before moving the switch and test the the setup again with just an Ethernet cable, and use the Dell OpenManage Switch Administrator software to see if complete configuration is possible over the Ethernet cable as you will not be able to use the terminal cable.

Maybe, i don't know, you could pre-configure the switch up so that it just slips into the new setup.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/54xx/en/UG/PDF/en_ug.pdf

5 Posts

March 28th, 2010 18:00

Turns out is was simple.  I moved it, did not have time to change any settings, but just pluged it right into a laptop via eithernet.  Set up a fake LAN on that laptop to mimic the old IP space it was under, and I was able to login at the ip.add.ress:port as I used to.

My passwords seem to have been changed, or nuked, I am nut sure, but most of the data is still there.

I can telnet into it as well, which is good, as I believe that is the only way to change some settings, not all can be done in the web admin.  Ideally, this should come from the factory set with a 192. or 10. non routable, and be all web based.  The web admin is pretty abysmal, so I would also be ok with a simple open telnet from any host that is connected on a port.

I am going to run this in my home, or was thinking about it. Those are some insanely noisy fans.  Does anyone know if they are standard size, and I can replace them with something of a higher quality, and a quieter quality?  In a data center, it does not matter, but the 5424 does come with rubber feet, meaning it is intended in some way for Small to Medium Business, and I can not imagine this sitting in the corner of an office without causing someone serious aggravation from the noise.

No Events found!