Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2012 19:00

Multiple PowerConnect 5448 - vLan Trunk Issue

Hello,

We have 2 PowerConnect 5448 switches that are connected to each other using Port 48 on both (Fiber optics).

Both Switches are configured exactly the same:

Ports 1-40  Default vLan 1

Ports 41-46 vLan 207 [switchport access allowed vlan 207] - (Isolated segment, no need to access internet)

Ports 47-48: [switchport trunk allowed vlan 207]

My issue is that devices on the vlan 207 are unable to communicate with each other across both switches, only devices that are connected to the same switch are communicating with each other.

Devices on the default vLan 1 are communicating without any issues across both switches.

What am i missing?

Thanks in advance.

Rod.

13 Posts

May 30th, 2012 08:00

Apparently I had a loop somewhere in my network. once the loop was disconnected everything worked great.

Daniel suggested to run the following commands to find out if there was any traffic going through my trunk port and noticed that there wasn't any until the loop was removed.

Console# Show spanning-tree  ----> this showed that g48 "Trunk" was marked as "Altn" meaning another port was doing the forwarding.

Console# show bridge address-table ---> showed no MAC address going through.

Thanks Daniel.

Rod.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 25th, 2012 07:00

Port channel is the command you run to setup a LAG.  The firmware is always a good place to start with things, just helps ensure both switches are on the same level.

I sent you a DM with my email address, if you want to email me the running config of the switches I can help look them over, see if I spot something.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Port 47 and 48 are both connecting the two switches together? Are those ports in a port channel?

It may help to see the running config from each switch.

Also ensuring each switch is on the same current firmware may help also.

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Thanks

13 Posts

Hello Daniel,

Only port 48 is currently used, port 47 does not have a Fiber Optics transciever.

Both switches are running the same config.

Not eactly sure what you mean by "in a port channel"?

Thank you for the reply.

Rod.

No Events found!