Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2018 23:00

N1148P-ON issues / questions

Hi,

We've just deployed 2 stacks of Dell N1148P/T switches last night and ran into a couple of issues/questions:

• When I 'show process cpu', it shows CPU utilization to be close to 100%, with the process Sim_Keep_Alive taking up ~70%. I'm pretty confident that this is intended, but it's kinda misleading that the total CPU utilization is shown as 100%.. Is there a reason for this process?
  • Is there any way to show how long a port has been active? In Cisco IOS I can do 'show interfaces to see how long it's been since the last input/output - is there any way to do this on Dell switches?
  • Last, but not least - on the last stack, we have an issue where some PoE ports continuously have an orange LED lid (even if we unplug the cable). The ports doesn't supply PoE and don't seem to work.. I have done the following trying to get it to work:

Set static port speed to the phones (same speed at the phone NIC).

Reverted firmware back to 6.4.1.4 (what the switch was delivered with). - Currently running 6.4.2.3 - Same issue.

Rebooted the switch (obviously).

Set Power inline priority to high on the ports (switch overall consumed power is 55W, so not really an issue).

Shutdown the port (the LED turns off, but light up again as soon as 'shutdown' is removed).

Moved the device to another port without this issue (PoE works fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm convinced it's a faulty switch, but hope someone has an idea :)

The stack with the faulty ports consists of 1 N1148P-ON & 1 N1148T-ON switch.

Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

That is some peculiar behavior. I have sent you a private message requesting some additional details. Hopefully, with that extra information, we can find out whats going on here.

Thanks

21 Posts

January 30th, 2018 01:00

Hi, thanks your reply - I've messaged you privately.

In addition to the previous questions, I'd like to report at bug on the HTML site. When I choose "Stack View", nothing is showing. On the N2048's I get a Graphic View on the entire stack, which is nice for some purposes.

Hope you can forward the report to the appropriate team :) 

21 Posts

February 19th, 2018 01:00

Hi,

We received a new switch, so the PoE issue is gone. I would still like on my other questions though.

Hope someone can help :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2018 06:00

Thanks for the update. Really glad to hear the replacement switch resolved the PoE issue.

In regards to the CPU usage, is loopguard enabled on the switch? The global and interface command look for in the configuration is keepalive. If it is enabled, could you please disable and see it and record if the CPU usage goes down. Are these stacked configured for MLAG?

I am not aware of a command that would show you the uptime for each individual interface. The command show system will give you the uptime for the switch itself.

With the replacement switch you are still seeing the stack view not populate correctly. I wonder if it has something to do with the CPU usage being high. Let's see if we can reduce the CPU usage, and then test this view again.

21 Posts

February 20th, 2018 04:00

Thanks for your response :)

Keep alive isn't enabled.

#show keepalive

Keepalive Service.............................. Disabled
Transmit Interval.............................. 10
Retry Count.................................... 3

There aren't any entries of "keepalive" in running-config either.

The stack isn't configured for MLAG, I've configured the stack with the following method:

#configure

(config)# stack

(config-stack)# stack-port tengigabitethernet 1/0/25 stack

It doesn't seem like the switch CPU is overloaded, as I can easily manage the switch with both ssh / https and it isn't slow in any way. The CPU process "sim_Keep_Alive" is only in the process list on stacked switches. We've tried booting a standalone switch and the process doesn't appear.

We have 3 of these stacks and the process appears on all of them. They do function perfectly, though. (apart from stack view not working and this mysterious process being shown as taking up 70% of the CPU usage).

Thanks for clearing up my question about interface timers, no need to keep looking for the right command then :)

21 Posts

March 13th, 2018 05:00

In case anyone else is having the same issues with Stack View / the Sim_Keep_Alive process, I've been asked to wait for the next firmware release (April 2018), which hopefully addresses some of the issues.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 07:00

Hi Moxom,

Do you have any update on that? We are having the same issue

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 08:00

The new update is not out yet. You can monitor the following page for the update: https://dell.to/2K9ri3k

You can also sign up to receive notifications for the update: https://dell.to/2qRsKzc

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 06:00

The new update was released: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=T40NX

We already tested and this issue seems to have been solved.

Fixes:
CS4700527/FIELD-2817-High CPU utilization of "SIM_Keep_alive" task
CS4738952/FIELD-2828-Missing snmp-server IP address entry in running-config.
CS4816982/FIELD-2850-Switch-port is reporting exaggerated MAC learned values when port security is applied. 
CS4652919/FIELD-2803-Ping traffic drops and latency, 8 out of 13 switches having the same problem.

21 Posts

May 16th, 2018 23:00

That sounds nice, havn't had a chance to update our switches yet.

Seems to be missing a fix for the Switch Stack view on GUI. I'll give an update when I've updated one of our stacks :)

No Events found!