Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2015 11:00

N2048P from uBoot menu

How to recover a N2048P from uBoot menu, the switch has all the ports light on and display status 01

14 Posts

September 30th, 2015 02:00

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunatly the boot process doesn't go that further and it never reaches the boot menu, here's what I can see from the console (i cut out the first part):

U-Boot 2012.10-00077-g89d3a3e (Mar 18 2014 - 13:11:33)

DRAM:  1 GiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:   Micron MT29F2G08ABAEA, 128 KiB blocks, 2 KiB pages, 16B OOB, 8-bit
NAND:   chipsize 256 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
arm_clk=1000MHz, axi_clk=499MHz, apb_clk=124MHz, arm_periph_clk=500MHz
Net:   Registering eth
Broadcom BCM IPROC Ethernet driver 0.1
Using GMAC0 (0x18022000)
et0: ethHw_chipAttach: Chip ID: 0xdc14; phyaddr: 0x1
serdes_reset_core pbyaddr(0x1) id2(0xf)
bcmiproc_eth-0
boot in 3 s
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
0x000000200000-0x00000f000000 : "mtd=4"
/image1 not found!
ubifsload - load file from an UBIFS filesystem

Usage:
ubifsload [bytes]
    - load file 'filename' to address 'addr'
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Saving Environment to NAND...
Erasing Nand...
Erasing at 0x160000 -- 100% complete.
Writing to Nand... done
/image2 not found!
ubifsload - load file from an UBIFS filesystem

Usage:
ubifsload [bytes]
    - load file 'filename' to address 'addr'
Wrong Image Forat for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
u-boot>

I tried to set both flash1 and flash2 but with no luck, I tried to setup a tftp server on my PC and use it but it seems it wont use it, I tried the tftpboot command and it gave me this error:

u-boot> tftpboot
ERROR: Ethernet external port not connected
at bcmiproc_eth.c:124/bcmiproc_eth_open()

I guess it doesn't bring up the interfaces?

Don't know if it's any usefull now but I think I discovered what caused the problem, a new firmware has been uploaded on top of the active one instead of the backup (which I gust could be empty), then the switch has been reset but during the boot the operator enter the boot menu and selected the option to format the switch (last one if I remember correctly)

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 11:00

does any one has a manual?, I read the:

-Upgrading Dell Networking N3000_N2000 series switches document

-uBoot commands

and does not have a clear process to recover the switch and make it to boot from its firmware image (N3000_N2000v6.2.1.6.stk)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 6th, 2015 11:00

Switch manuals can be downloaded here.

http://dell.to/18y0W6O

Did you go through the switch recovery example outlined in the upgrade document?

-Boot to the boot menu:

When the boot menu appears, select 2 – Start Boot Menu

Dell Networking Boot Options

============================

Select a menu option within 3 seconds or the Operational Code will start automatically...

1 - Start Operational Code

2 - Display Boot Menu

From the boot menu you can reflash the firmware, restore to factory defaults, and activate backup image as possible fixes.

Let us know what the outcome is.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2015 17:00

I forgot to tell you about the boot menu what I have is the uBoot and has specific options (instructions) for the switch, if you have a uBoot newest manual, would be great!, regards!

4 Posts

July 7th, 2015 17:00

Hello Daniel!

Yes I made some tests regarding the manual, but what I can not do on the switch is:

1. Establish a TFTP connection to upload the version on to de switch (variables are not taking changes)

2. I upload by Kermit/serial de version but I am not able to give the correct instruction to the switch to load this new OS version and restart

3. All the ports are green, is this normal?

Thanks for your kind answer!

Jose Luis Franco

jl_franco@dell.com

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 9th, 2015 06:00

A method was found that enabled the OS image to be restored. This ended up being a very unique situation and should not be seen in normal operation. If anyone does run across this issue on their N-series switches, please feel free to direct message me or call into support.

Cheers.

14 Posts

September 29th, 2015 04:00

Hello Daniel,

Unfortunatly after a series of updates and formats done during a test I ended up with a N2024P switch in the exact same situation as the one described here, it boots up and then I'm stuck in uBoot mode, all lights on and fan at full speed.

Can you contact me with the solution? It seems I can't  write to you directly.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 29th, 2015 11:00

When the Uboot come up, this usually means that the image could not be loaded or is corrupt in some way.

In some cases the boot menu is still reachable. When you reboot the switch look for a prompt that says :

# Select a menu option within 3 seconds or the Operational Code will start automatically...

1 - Start Operational Code

2 - Display Boot Menu

Select (1, 2)#

If you get this prompt, you should be able to select option 2 at which point you will be presented with the boot main menu. On the boot main menu there is an option to activate the backup image. If the backup image is still intact this option should allow the system to boot into the backup image.  

If the backup image does not work, the next option I would try is option 4 to load a new operational code. This will allow you to use a tftp server to reflash the image on the switch. Here is a link to the latest image.

http://dell.to/1YMxmki

If you cannot access the boot menu, there are a couple commands from the Uboot prompt you can try.

the following command can be used to change the primary boot image:

>setenv primary_boot flash1

Depending on which image is the current active image you may need to change flash1 to flash2.

If both images are corrupt, then you can also try setting the primary boot image to an image you have on a local tftp server. The command would look like this:

> setenv primary_boot tserver-ip/image-file-name

Let us know if any of this works for you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 1st, 2015 14:00

giovanni.lnl, I have sent you a friend request here on the forums. The request includes my email address and some additional information I would like to gather from the switch. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

November 12th, 2015 23:00

Dear Sir

I have the same question

Can you help

my email address is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

thanks...

November 12th, 2015 23:00

Dear sir

I have the same question

can you help

my mail address is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

thanks...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 16th, 2015 12:00

Hey Ponyma2015, Could you run us through what behavior the switch is currently exhibiting, what led up to this situation, and what recovery procedures you have attempted so far?

Thanks

2 Posts

December 7th, 2015 14:00

We are having the exact same issue. Did you manage to get it working?

Did you have to re-load up the firmware?

2 Posts

December 7th, 2015 14:00

I have the same issue as giovanni.lnl

How to do you fix from ERROR: can't get kernel image!

14 Posts

December 9th, 2015 01:00

Hi James, I wasn't able to recover the switch from that situation so I got a replacement for it

No Events found!