Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2017 04:00

[N20XX] RADIUS Server usage login does not work

Hello,

we are already using dot1x and want to add management access by SSH to the switches based on RADIUS authentication. As you can see in the configuration below, I want to use a different RADIUS Server for the login authentication than for dot1x.

I defined usages in the radius-server settings, but for some weird reason the switch still connect to 10.0.1.1 instead of 10.0.2.1.

What am I missing here?

aaa authentication login "networkList" local line
aaa authentication login "rad" radius local
authentication enable
dot1x system-auth-control
aaa authentication dot1x default radius

radius-server host auth 10.0.1.1
name "DOT1X_RADIUS"
usage 802.1x
key "KEYKEYKEYKEY"
exit
radius-server host auth 10.0.2.1
name "ADMIN_LOGIN_RADIUS"
usage login
key "KEYKEYKEYKEY"
exit

line console
exec-timeout 480
login authentication networkList
password PASSWORD
exit
line ssh
exec-timeout 480
login authentication rad
exit

Best regards

• 

8.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hi,

What version of the firmware are you on? There have been a few fixes for Radius in different firmware revisions. What happens if you switch the order the commands?

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 02:00

Hello Josh,

we are currently using: 

I looked up the release notes of the last recent firmware version but I could not find any topic regarding the radius server usage field or something like that.

What to you mean by "switch the order of the commands" ?

Which commands and which order? :)

• 

8.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

The radius server hosts, so that 10.0.2.1 is the one they try to access first.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

In my understanding, the switch should be able to query both radius servers, one for dot1x, the other one for login. Am I wrong here?

Which purpose has the "usage" command in the the radius-server context?

The switch itself says:

switch(config-auth-radius)#usage ?

• 802.1x Select dot1x to have dot1x access authenticated against Radius.
  • all Select all to have both switch access and dot1x access authenticated against Radius.
  • login Select login to have switch access authenticated against Radius.

Since it is in the context of a specific host, it does not look global for all radius-servers to me.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 09:00

It should be able to, which is why I was wondering if it queried the other one first would it only access that one or is still skipping that one and only using 1.1. The other thing we could do is use wireshark to monitor the port and see if it is querying both.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 11:00

I will try the swapped order on Monday.

What I can say by now is, that upgrading the firmware to the last recent one does not solve the issue.

I tried it.

Edit: The sniffing is a good Idea, I can perform it on the Firewall (Router)  inbetween the networks.

5 Posts

March 6th, 2017 07:00

I performed some sniffing and also changing the configuration order of both radius-servers.

According to the sniffing result, only one radius-server will be contacted by the switch.

• If 1.1 is the first radius-server in the config, all requests (802.1x + login) are going here.
  • If 2.1 is the first radius-server in the config, all requests (802.1x + login) are going here.

But I noticed an odd behaviour: When I remove only one radius server from the config, and add it afterwards, to change the order in the config file, for 1.1 it did not change the order.

Edit:

After upgrading to 6.3.11 the following changed: Regardless which order the radius-servers have, the one with the usage 802.1x is queried for everything.  No packet is going to the login one anymore.

Edit 2:

Please note: I don't know if that is important, but the IPs (1.1 / 1.2) are fake IPs here. In fact the one with the usage 802.1x has the higher one.

Edit 3:

I noticed, if I remove one of the servers from the config and request something using radius (dot1x / login) the remaining radius-server will be queried. If I add the removed one afterwards, the switch will still use the server, which was queried before.

My idea here is, that in 6.3.1.11 the switch remembers, which radius-server has been contacted recently.

Also sadly, the "usage" is not interpreted by the switch in the way it should be. To be more specific, it will be ignored.

September 30th, 2021 04:00

Very old issue but I have the same issue with a N22xx system (running 6.6.3.14).

Did someone actually resolved the issue?

2.9K Posts

September 30th, 2021 13:00

Hello,

In order to provide assistance, I'd need to know what troubleshooting steps you've taken so far. I'd also recommend updating the firmware to current. If you're looking to see if someone in the community has corrected this issue in their circumstances, we can certainly wait for a community response, as well.

6 Posts

April 12th, 2022 09:00

I’m having the exact same issue on N2000 and N1500 even with the latest firmware 6.7.1.9 . I thought it was me being stupid but I was able to verify using pcap. 

i need different radius servers for shell access vs MAB

Benjamin 

6 Posts

April 12th, 2022 13:00

Hi Chris,

thanks for getting back to us. Radius Authentication for shell access in general works like specified in the doc you sent (been using this long time). The issue only arrises if there multiple radius servers as mentioned earlier in this thread exist in the switch configuration.

example:

radius server auth server1 1.1.1.1
usage login

exit

radius server auth server2 2.2.2.2
usage authmgr

Both radius servers serve different purposes (one for mab, one for login as admin). Having only 1 server in configuration works also with  corresponding "usage" specified.

This is a new setup as we are adding mab to our network environment.

Thanks

Benjamin

edit: I just realised theres someone with the exact same problem here https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-General/Radius-Problem-Dell-N1524P-Software-6-7-1-9/m-p/8182015#M103664

• 

8.4K Posts

April 12th, 2022 13:00

BenjiShi,

I am researching the issue, but wanted to confirm a couple things with you. 

Was this working on a previous version, or is this a new configuration?

If you review this article, where these steps performed?

Let me know.

• 

3K Posts

April 12th, 2022 21:00

Hi @BenjiShi,

So when you say having only 1 RADIUS server in the configuration, it works? Just an understanding, if you use only Login usage, it works. If you use only Authenticate Manager, it works. But having both doesn't. When you have both configured, are both of the server pingable from switch? 

When you said you had the same issue, the switch still connects to 1.1.1.1 instead of 2.2.2.2?

6 Posts

April 12th, 2022 22:00

Hi Joey, 

thanks for getting back. 

I have verified the behaviour mentioned in this post this morning: https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-General/Radius-Problem-Dell-N1524P-Software-6-7-1-9/m-p/81...

I also get the error: RADIUS: Server Entry is Null or Could not allocate Radius Packet

Both RADIUS Servers are pingable from the switch to answer you question. 

• 

3K Posts

April 13th, 2022 01:00

Hi @BenjiShi,

I noticed the link previous post, just wanted to know about your issue in detail, since some configurations might not be same in terms of IP and steps. 

It may need to get more deep dive into the switch logs to find out what's the issue. But before that, I'll check with Chris if he has any further ideas. If he doesn't have any, you may need to contact the support to analyze the full configuration details. Be right back.

No Events found!