Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2013 13:00

Network mapping software

hi

I have a number of Dell PowerConnect switches (mostly 6248), along some Cisco devices spread out over two data

centres. I'm looking to create some network diagrams of two data centres and am hoping someone can recommend

a good piece of network mapping software that I can use to map out switches, routers and links.Im wondering if there is a HP Openview or 3com network director equivalent for Dell that 

I can use with read only SNMP strings.  Please advise....

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

I am not aware of a way to use OMNM to map out individual ports or to search for a device based on it's MAC address. You can go to visualize, which will display a topology of the network. Then click on data/node finder and it will list out the devices for you. You can then click on those devices and it will show you where they are located in the topology. Here is a video that demonstrates this capability some.

www.doradosoftware.com/.../Visualize.html

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 14:00

OpenManage Network Manager has some network mapping features. I think for management of non Dell hardware it is recommended to use the Dorado Software’s Redcell product suite.

The OpenManage Network Manager topology screen lets you create multi-layered, fully customizable, web-based maps of your network to track devices wherever they are in your network.

www.dell.com/.../pd

www.doradosoftware.com/.../ep-redcell-overview.html

Spiceworks has a network mapping tool that is free to download.

www.spiceworks.com/free-network-mapping-software

Let us know if you find one you like.

34 Posts

August 14th, 2013 08:00

I've started using the Dell Open Manage tool, it seems OK to get up and running, but there's one thing that should be easy, which it isn't.

I have 2 PowerConnect 6200 switches connected in a stack and I want to know the actual port numbers of the connecting links, but Open Manage Network Manager doesn't give me this information.

Also is there a way to search for a specific MAC? For example, can I type in MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and have open manage network manager find it on Port x?

Thanks

Ps - I'm only using the read only SNMP strings to connect

No Events found!