rdegez
1 Copper

New firmware roadmap + other questions

Could someone from DELL tell us what is the roadmap and what features could we expect from the next firmware upgrade for 62xx switchs ?

For instance, the 62xx lack the possibility to disable autoneg on gigabit ports.

A lot of carriers using cisco switchs for instance disable autoneg on gig ports (despite the fact that gigabit ethernet specs says that autoneg must always be enabled)

The switch also lack a way to list SFP transceivers serialnumber and brand. (whereas it shows optical power level which is great!)

Other unrelated question: what about the availability of a standalone version of the M8020 10Gig blade switch ? Would be awesome!

Regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
peterhd
1 Copper

Re: New firmware roadmap + other questions

Disabling autoneg to GE ports is bad practice. It's carried over from past days, where autoneg was often broken on FE ports and some people just haven't changed their legacy procedures. On GE, autoneg carries remote fault indication, which is extremely heplful to avoid one-way links.

OTOH, I do agree that a CLI knob to show SFP type, manufacturer and serial number would be great. I also appreciate that in 3.0.0.8, optical monitoring was improved to show dBm and is even more useful than in 2.0.0.3

0 Kudos
rdegez
1 Copper

The question is not if distabling autoneg is bad or not (Yes it is! 😉

The fact is that a *lot* of large carriers often disable the autoneg on their interfaces, and it is a pain to call their support each time we connect a new gig port.

It would be great to be able to switch this feature on or off (like on any carrier-grade switch ie cisco, juniper, extreme networks, foundry...).

Having choice is always better 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
peterhd
1 Copper

Sure, having choice is better.

But, I'd call them anyway, because proper detection of one-way links is important.

0 Kudos