Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2019 00:00

New to PowerConnect 2824 - Need Help

Hello Everyone,

After struggling for bit I finally was able to get in to the Dell PowerConnect 2824 I acquired. Story behind this purchase is I have 4 Virtualization Servers with 2 - 8 tb NAS' they both can do nic bonding/teaming. I understand that setting up LAG will only increase bandwidth and not speed. However it will give me performance as I save the VMs to an NFS Store that is shared among the Virtual Hosts. I also do backups to these NAS' as well. So with that said can someone point me to a tutorial on how to create a VLANs and LAG. Also can I attach a LAG to a VLAN my thought is I would like to use port 21-24 for LAG I would put the NAS' on these ports and make it VLAN 3 at least that's what I hope to do. And do they need to be tagged or untagged, I do know that DPC 2824 doesn't play well with more than one untagged vlan.

P.S. I currently have a Cisco 3750 24 port switch on this network with 3 VLans 1 - is the external network to internet, I have VLan 10 Set as an internal private network, & I have VLan 99 setup as a management network that only my workstation has access to. Each of these VLans have an IP associated with them for management of course. (Do I have to do that with the DPC2824?) 

I hope I explained this properly, Thanks for your time,

Michael

• 

8.5K Posts

February 11th, 2019 07:00

Hi,

Page 104 shows LAG configuration. https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/powerconnect-2824_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

The answers to your other questions should also be in the manual.

February 12th, 2019 01:00

Hello Guys,

On Page 104 of the PowerConnect User's Guide I see this Load Balance: Layer 2, Layer 3, Layer 2/3 <- What do each of these mean? How does this affect my choices on the other side of the connection? In this case a NAS with 2 nics to allow for LAG configuration. 

On my NAS I have a Selection of Port Trunking with the following Options:

Which one do I chose?Which one do I chose?

Now my question is which one of my Dell Side matches the NAS Side? DellPC2824-1.pngWhich one is the LACP or What does the Load Balance mean for Layer 2, Layer 3, or Layer 2/3 <- Is this one the equivalent of 802.3ad? Which one is sufficient enough to do Balance-rr?

These type of things need to be explained in greater detail for us who are not of the expert level.

This is the Users guide (Page 104) definition:

Load Balance — Indicates the load balancing type enabled on the LAG. The possible field values are:
– Layer 2 — Enables load balancing based on static and dynamic MAC addresses.
– Layer 3 — Enables load balancing based on source and destination IP addresses.
– Layer 2-3 — Enables load balancing based on static and dynamic MAC addresses, and source and
destination IP addresses.

Do you see anything pertaining to 802.3ad/LACP or even Balance-rr here in this definition? I sure don't. I just get frustrated when things like this get thrown out there and there is no reference to it and it's assumed I know what this is.

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. Please forgive me for my frustration, & my stupid questions. I promise I am trying to learn this as fast as I can and I do thank you guys for putting up with me.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 12th, 2019 09:00

Hi,

It depends on which NAS you have, but most likely layer 2 balancing is fine. So when multiple local systems connect it will load balance. Layer 3 matters more when you have a lot of different VLANs connecting.

No Events found!