Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2018 02:00

No internet network due to DELL DGS-3120-24TC switch

Dear Expert. 

Recently, I noticed the internet connection within my organization keep interrupted(suddenly no internet) and it impacted all the users with no internet connection. 

From my workaround, I found after i restarted the Dell Switches and the internet connection will resumed. 

Anyone encounter this before? Is there anything i miss out? 

February 4th, 2018 18:00

Hey Daniel. 

Good day! Your method given works perfectly, I managed to traced the network port that causes network interruption. Apparently, That network port was connected to a Wireless Router that acted as a network switch. After replacing it with a standalone network switch the network resume to normal without any interruption after monitoring it for 2 weeks. 

Thanks & Regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2018 05:00

I am not familiar with the DGS-3120-24TC switches. Doing some googling, the model number shows to be a D-Link switch, is that correct? How many switches do you have? Are they all the same model? when this issue occurs, are the switches still accessible for management, telnet/SSH/HHTP? Have you tried restarting the switches one at a time to see if there is a specific switch that is being the troublemaker? What about checking the switch logs? Any firmware updates available? 

January 17th, 2018 18:00

Hi Daniel 

Thank you for your feedback. My apologies, I totally mixed up the brand. Yes, DGS-3120-24TC is a D-link switch. 

Currently, We only have 1 switches. Yes, When the issue occurs the switches is still accessible for Management(can login into the Web-UI).

I found out there is a new Firmware available, Maybe i should try to upgrade and see whether the issue still occurs. 

In additional, There wasn't any major error stated inside the Log files, all i can see was uplink and downlink for each individual ports. 

regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2018 06:00

Firmware would be a good step to take. Maybe when the issue occurs, check the switch resource usage to see if it is high. I have seen scenarios where one device on the network will cause an outage by flooding the switch, for example with broadcast packets. You could look at the interface counters for any interface with higher amount of a specific counter. Another way to approach this would be to test unplugging one device at a time, to see if the internet comes back. If it does come back when a certain device is unplugged, then you have your culprit. 

When this happens have you tried just restarting the modem/router? Or has it always just been the switch?

January 18th, 2018 19:00

Thanks Daniel. I have a better idea now. Moving forward, I will try the following approach by unplugging one device at the time and see whether the internet comes back. 

In the beginning when the issue first time occurred, the internet comes back after i restarted the Firewall and Load Balancer and it only works twice after that it doesn't make any different anymore until I discovered the internet comes back every time after i restarted the Switch.

Let me try the following approach above and i will update once I complete. :)

Regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 5th, 2018 05:00

Awesome! glad to hear the good news.

Cheers

No Events found!