Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2021 03:00

OS10 licensing logic?

It's hard to find clear cut answers.

1. Is OS10 enterprise license permanent?

2. Does pricing depend on the device model? (If not purchased together with the device)

3. What are the fundamental differences between OS10 enterprise and OS10 open edition? (probably no VLT in open edition?)

2.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 08:00

Hello,

1. The OS10 license is permanent.

2. I'd have to refer you to the Sales department for anything pertaining to pricing. Pricing information isn't something tech support sees.

3. As for OS10, Enterprise edition is the edition Dell maintains, whereas the Open edition is open source and maintained by the public foundation. I can try to find any other differences, but the big one seems to be the maintainer.

November 9th, 2021 22:00

Hello Dell-DylanJ,

I have a Dell Networking S4048T-ON switch, but I am unable to confirm the license type installed 

in the switch. The command reference guide was not so helpful in this regard also.

Please provide me with the right command to confirm the license installed.

Thank you.

• 

3K Posts

November 10th, 2021 00:00

Hi @jessieobioma,

You can run the command to check the license installed: 

# show license status

Reference: https://dell.to/3D4pWC3

November 10th, 2021 16:00

Hello @DELL-Joey C ,

Thank you for responding swiftly to my question.

I will give the command a try.

Also, is there a document that explains the license types available for the switch and the licensing

scheme?

Than you.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 10th, 2021 16:00

There is the enterprise OS10 version which has 120 trial and perpetual license. Then there is the open edition https://dell.to/3qpszdY

February 20th, 2022 18:00

Hello and thank you for your responses.

Please clarify one more thing. 

Do I need a license for S3048 and S4048 switches running DNOS9?

Thank you.

• 

3K Posts

February 20th, 2022 21:00

Hi @jessieobioma,

Well, not that I know of. S3000 and S4000 series does not need license to run OS9. 

1 Rookie

• 

107 Posts

February 25th, 2022 01:00

i also have a question regarding the os10 license. our old 2020 s4148 seem to have a life time enterprise warrenty. new ones we wanna buy seem to need a software support now which the old ones didnt need. so something must have changed with the os10 ent. license, right?

• 

3.4K Posts

February 25th, 2022 08:00

Hello,

A factory-installed OS10
image runs with a perpetual license. A perpetual license allows you to run OS10 beyond the 120-day trial period.

Thanks

Marco

April 25th, 2022 21:00

Hello Marco B,

Can I transfer a permanent license (or any other type of license)

on an OS10 supported device from one switch to another?

If yes, please guide me on how to achieve this or point me to a document that describes the procedure.

Thank you.

• 

3K Posts

April 26th, 2022 00:00

Hi @jessieobioma,

No, that is not possible to transfer switch OS10 license from 1 switch to another. The license is perpetual on the original switch. 

• 

3K Posts

April 26th, 2022 01:00

Hi @jessieobioma,

In any event of switch replacement, you will need to contact technical support to obtain the license file for installation with their guidance. The support will need to verify that it is a valid hardware replacement before they can provide you the license file. 

I have replied to some of your questions on different titles in the forum about firmware download from DDL.

April 26th, 2022 01:00

Joey C,

Thank you for responding.

"No, that is not possible to transfer switch OS10 license from 1 switch to another. The license is perpetual on the original switch."

Understood.

How do I re-install the license in the event of switch replacement after support has ended?

Also, is it possible to download firmware from DDL after support contract ends?

Thank you.

June 6th, 2022 17:00

Hello Joey C,

Thanks for responding to the above question.

It seems to me that the difference between the OS10 Enterprise edition and the trial edition

is the license type installed in the switch.

Are there any other major differences between the above editions?

Is there a document that describes their difference?

Thank you.

• 

3.6K Posts

June 6th, 2022 23:00

Hi,

Are there any other major differences between the above editions? >> Os10 Enterprise edition is a license required and trial edition works only 120 days after that the switch reboot by itself 70 hrs once.

The base Module of OS10 is the Open Edition. It includes the Linux distribution, as well as SAI (Open Compute project) and CPS APIs, providing Abstraction for NPU as well as the Control Plane. we will discuss these, in a bit. Open Edition is also Dell EMC’s contribution to Open Source Community, via the Open Switch Project & Sonic Project.

you can include these point also with previous answer.

OS10’s Open Edition, which is Dell EMC’s contribution to the Linux Community, is Free. The path to Custom Applications and build, is open to the customers with Open Edition.

If OS10 is factory-loaded on your switch, you do not need to install an OS10 license as it is pre-loaded with a perpetual license. If you download OS10 on a trial basis, OS10 comes with a 120-day trial license. ONIE installation on a factory-loaded Dell switch wipes out the license partition. Hence, the switch on reload comes up with a default 120 day trial license. Purchase and install a perpetual license after the trial period https://dell.to/3H3rGhB continue with uninterrupted use, purchase and install a perpetual license to avoid the OS10 device rebooting every 72 hours after 120 days.

No Events found!