Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2012 09:00

PC 6000 series switches - stacking module in ethernet mode

i read in a product document about configuring a powerconnect switch stacking module in ethernet mode 

stacking modules are used to stack switches into a single logical unit. But what does configure "stacking module in ethernet mode" mean. Does it mean use a uplink module as a LAG? or is there a way to configure stacking module in a LAG?

thanks

802 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 10:00

The 60xx series switches are actually not stackable.  Here is a list of the stackable PowerConnect switches:

• 33xx

• 34xx

• 35xx

• 55xx

• 62xx

• M6220

• M6348

• 70xx

Dell PowerConnect stacking provides multiple switch management through a single point as if all stack members are a single unit. All stack members are accessed through a single IP address through which the stack is managed.

The PowerConnect switches with stacking capabilities can be stacked, or they can simply be stand-alone switches. Although stacking is accomplished using different cables and connectors, the concept is consistent across the PowerConnect line.

Switches in a stack are connected in one of two topologies:

• Stack Topology - Ring

• Stack Failover Topology - Chain

During the stacking setup, one switch is selected as the Stack Master and another stacking member can be selected as the Backup Master. All other devices are selected as stack members, and assigned a unique Unit ID.

Switch stacking and configuration is maintained by the Stack Master. The Master detects and reconfigures the ports with minimal operational impact in the event of unit failure, inter-unit stacking link failure, unit insertion, and the removal of a stacking unit.  The master unit is responsible for updating and synchronizing the backup master unit.

The member units on the 55xx switch will not function or forward traffic if it is not connected to a master unit.

14 Posts

February 24th, 2012 04:00

thank you. i am using 6248 switches and not 60xx series.

further what is the difference between cx4 module and stacking module?

is cx4 module used these days? which one is more preferable?

98 Posts

February 24th, 2012 07:00

The PowerConnect M8024k, 8024, and 8024F also support stacking when using firmware 4.2 or later.

98 Posts

February 24th, 2012 07:00

All PowerConnect 62xx, 62xxP, 62xxF, and the M6220 support the same set of expansion modules, including the stacking module, which is a CX4 Stacking Module. This is the only Stacking module available for the 62xx. There is one other CX4 module for the 62xx, which is 10Gig ethernet.  

Both the Stacking CX4 and the 10GE CX4 modules can actually be configured to either role (Ethernet or Stacking). By default, each module functions according to its module ID.  Consult the 62xx Command Line Interface Guide at <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for instructions on how to change roles, but it is only one or two commands, very straightforward. Upon changing the role of a module, a reboot will be required.

The guide also says the Stacking module will only install into Bay 1 (left bay when viewing from the back) of the 62xx.  

-V

14 Posts

March 9th, 2012 05:00

thanks for your response.

with the stacking modules in ethernet mode on two 6248 switches, can i create a lag between the two switches.

i.e. between 1/xg1-1/xg2 on the two switches.

802 Posts

March 9th, 2012 10:00

Yes, you should be able to set a lag on those ports once you have ethernet mode enabled.

14 Posts

March 9th, 2012 22:00

when i change the stack ports to ethernet mode without configuring any VLANs (only management vLAN exists on the switch) and without defining a LAG, i am able to ping between the two switches.

now when i create VLAN (say 10) and also create a channel-group and allow VLAN 10 over the port-channel, the ping between the two switches stop!!

also in the next step i changed the management vLAN to 10, and tried the same thing! the ping between the two switches doesnt work agian.

any help appreciated

802 Posts

March 12th, 2012 10:00

When you say you are allowing the vlan on the port channel are you setting up a trunk between the switches on the LAG?  You would run this on the Port channel interface on both switches.  This is Layer 2 allowing traffic across to both switches.

console(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

console(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan add XX, XX

console(config-if)# end

14 Posts

March 12th, 2012 11:00

thanks for ur response if i create a lab between the two 6248 switches (on say ports 21-24), everything works fine. The lag between the switches is a trunk lag allowing only VLAN10. if i use uplink modules things work fine too. I am able to ping between the two switches. the problem is when i create a VLAN10 on both switches and use Stacking modules in ethernet mode and create a lag allowing only VLAN10, i am unable to ping between the two switches! So does that mean the stacking modules in ethernet mode cannot be used for this purpose? Am i supposed to use only CX4 10Gig modules for ISL? thanks again

16 Posts

August 15th, 2012 02:00

Did you ever get this to work?

I am looking to do the same with the stacking modules

802 Posts

August 15th, 2012 11:00

This command is used to configure a port on a CX-4 or stacking plug-in modules as either an ethernet or stack port.

stack-port / {ethernet | stack}

Default: From the factory the ports are all configured as Ethernet ports.  If upgrading from a previous release the modes will be preserved and no configuration should be necessary.

Like Victor said above:

• The guide also says the Stacking module will only install into Bay 1 (left bay when viewing from the back) of the 62xx.  

If you are wanting your native vlan to traverse the connection you will need to set up a general mode switchport and specifically add the native vlan as untagged or tagged when necessary.

Example:

console# configure

console(config)# interface ethernet e11

console(config-if)# switchport mode general

console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 100 tagged

console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 101 untagged

console(config-if)# end

Hope this helps,

Keep us updated if you can.

16 Posts

August 16th, 2012 03:00

We 2 switches, with an MD3000i on the default VLAN, and an EQL6100e on VLAN100.  Currently there are 4 ports per switch in a port-channel, allowing VLAN100 only.  I'd like to move this to the stacking module in ethernet mode.  From what you describe above, this seems possible.

I just need to set the module as ethernet, then "channel-group 1 mode auto"?

802 Posts

August 16th, 2012 15:00

Yes, that is an option according to the documentation.  One thing to keep in mind is that you want to keep the same throughput along your connections for a storage traffic specifically.  Meaning you do not want to create any bottlenecks.  That can cause latency issues.

16 Posts

August 16th, 2012 22:00

Thanks for that Willy. Though I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you referring to the MD3000i not on the port channel, or is the stacking module not great for throughput. 

802 Posts

August 17th, 2012 12:00

Sorry for the confusion.  I was trying to make a general statement about managing your traffic.  You would not want to have 10g going into 1g.

No Events found!