Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 7th, 2008 22:00

Port Modes - Access vs General

Can someone describe when to use Access vs General mode and the reason(s) why?

I have seen numerous example configurations with both and the "desired" results appears to be the same.

I have a pair of 6248's and a 6224.  I want to configure the pair of 6248's for my workstations and printers(vlan1...3) and servers (vlan4).  The 6224 is for ISCSI (vlan5).  Of course, the 6248's are stacked and the 6224 is not but has a trunked port to the stack.  Routing will be enabled on the stack but not on the 6224.

I have routing figured out so routing between vlans is not the issue.  My issue has been trying various configurations for the ports regarding vlans.  Simply put, I want vlan1...3 to access vlan4 but NOT vlan5.  I want vlan4 to access vlan5 for management purposes only (hence no routing on the 6224).

vlan1...3 - use access or general?

vlan4 - use access or general?

vlan5 - use access or general?

An example is would be much appreciated.

184 Posts

August 8th, 2008 19:00

Access port strictly accepts untagged packets (no vlan info) from the device connected and adds a vlan tag to the incoming packet to be processed in the switch/router. Any packet destined for the device connected to the port will have its vlan info removed. So the port would be considered an untagged member of vlan

Trunk port strictly accepts tagged packets. If the port is a tagged member of a vlan it allow that traffic to pass.

General mode is a hybrid, it allows both worlds to happen. You can add the port to any vlan as a tagged member and it will pass that traffic tagged to and from the port. But you also get the ability to have the port be an untagged member of 1 vlan which it can pass traffic to and from untagged. This is controlled by setting the PVID value for the port.

In my experience you end up using most ports as just straight access or trunk mode. I typically only use general mode when i am talking to a goofy device that is passing tagged and untagged traffic on the same link. Or in a more modern scenario if you have a VOIP phone and computer sharing the same port a general mode port can come in quite handy.

I apologize if you find my descriptions confusing, honestly it makes alot more sense in my head!!

16 Posts

November 6th, 2013 12:00

5 years later your post has helped me understand these Powerconnects. Thanks DRNO10.

No Events found!