Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2013 15:00

PowerConnect 2816 - SetUp

I just purchased a Powerconnect 2816.  I unplugged all of my computers from my existing netgear router and plugged them into the 2816.  All right side lights are green, left side lights are amber.  I have no network/internet on any network computers.  I am unable to connect to the 2816 by typing in the IP address of the previous router.  There is no "Easy setup wizard" as stated in manual......I have tried all of the preceeding in managed and Unmanaged Mode.

Can anyone tell me what I need to get this switch running my network correctly?

23 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

I cannot get a setup wizard to start. Should it automatically start up on the server?  I have my server and all of my workstations plugged into the switch.  Would it make a difference that I am using Server 2003?  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

I would start by setting the switch to managed mode and going through the setup wizard. The startup guide does a good job of taking us step by step on setting the switch up.

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/04/Product/powerconnect-2816

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

First make sure the switch is in managed mode.

Then If you are wanting to configure the switch via the web GUI then follow the instructions that start on page 19 of the setup guide.

1 Connect the switch to a PC via Ethernet, and set a static IP address of 192.168.2.x 255.255.255.0

(where x is between 2 and 254) on the PC.

2 Connect to the switch using IP address 192.168.2.1 in your web browser. The login is: username =

admin with no password.

3 After connecting to the device, use the IP Interface Parameters page to define the required IP

address (static or DHCP) for the device and its default gateway.

4 After the device is configured with new IP address, connect the device to the network or to a PC with

the correct subnet settings and continue configuring it via web management.

5 The IP Addressing page contains a link to the IP Interface Parameters page that is used to assign the

device IP address, subnet mask and default gateway, and for enabling or disabling DHCP. In the web

management interface navigation menu at left, select the System > IP Addressing > IP Interface

Parameters screen.

6 Enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

7 Click Apply Changes. The device is configured.

If that is not working, then I would look at connecting to the switch through a terminal connection and run through the setup wizard. Information on that can be found on page 15 of the setup guide.

23 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

Thank You.  I will give it a try and post a bit later on if it worked.

23 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 16:00

I plugged one Pc into the switch.  Manually entered 192.168.2.3 255.255.255.0 in the IPV4 setting.  I get internet on the PC butI am not able to communicafe with switch when I type 192.168.2.1 in browser.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 06:00

If the GUI is unreachable then you will need to proceed with a console connection. Page 13 of the setup guide.

The device provides an external console port in models 2816/24/48. The console port enables a

connection to a terminal desktop system running terminal emulation software for monitoring and

configuring the device.

The Console port connector is a male DB-9 connector, implemented as a data terminal equipment

(DTE) connector.

To use the Console port, the following is required:

• VT100 compatible terminal or a desktop or portable system with a serial port and running VT100

terminal emulation software.

• An RS-232 null-modem cable with a female DB-9 connector for the Console port and the

appropriate connector for the terminal.

To connect a terminal to the device Console port, perform the following:

1 Connect the supplied RS-232 crossover cable to the terminal running VT100 terminal emulation

software.

2 Ensure that the terminal emulation software is set as follows:

a Select the appropriate serial port to connect to the console.

b Set the data rate to 9600 baud.

c Set the data format to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.

d Set flow control to none.

e Select VT100 for Emulation mode.

NOTE: When using HyperTerminal with Microsoft® Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista, ensure that

you have the latest service packs installed. With Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, the arrow keys function properly in

HyperTerminal’s VT100 emulation. Go to www.microsoft.com for information on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and

Windows Vista service packs.

3 Connect the female connector of the RS-232 crossover cable directly to the Console port on the

device, and tighten the captive retaining screws. The PowerConnect 2800 series Console port is

located on the back panel.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 4th, 2013 14:00

Changing the IP scheme of your network may work as a workaround for not being able to access and configure the switch, but seems like a lot of work. I would suggest making the console connection and configure the switch, instead of trying to manipulate everything else on the network.

You can find a list of terminal emulators here:

en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_terminal_emulators

A very commonly used one is Putty.

http://www.putty.org/

Use a cable like this one:

Connect your notebook to the switch, and proceed with the instructions in the setup guide.

23 Posts

April 4th, 2013 14:00

Ok.....my apologies for not being smart when it comes to this subject.  I do not have a computer running terminal emulation software so I am unable to go that route.

Here is what I have going.

I have the 2816 switch mounted and all of my pc's are plugged into it and there is a jumper to my existing netgear box.  My netgear router has my internet connection & all of my miscellaneous networked machines plugged into it because there is no more room on the powerconnect 2816.  My current netgear router is set up to be the DHCP Server,  It is assigning address in the range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.100.  My DNS server address is 192.168.0.2. If I force the IP address range to change to the suggested 192.168.2.x I lose my internet and I believe all of my network connections.  So if I can figure out how to change my whole network range from 192.168.1.xx to 192.168.2.xx then I would be able to make the Powerconnect my main router?  I greatly appreciate any help you have given me and could possibly give me on this matter.  

23 Posts

April 4th, 2013 15:00

Thank you again for your assistance.  I will download Putty tomorrow and give it a try.  I have the cable already.  I am very limited on when I can work on the network....so I apologize for the amount of time in between postings.

23 Posts

April 5th, 2013 13:00

I opened up putty, changed the settings to 9600/8/1/no parity or flow control.  A black screen opens and runs several lines of text and then stops.  Unsure what is suppose to be done now.  I still have not done any setup on the switch.

23 Posts

April 5th, 2013 13:00

I did not find where I select VT100 for Emulation.

23 Posts

April 5th, 2013 14:00

When I run Putty with VT100 selected I get the same screen:

Console>

01-Jan-2000 01:02:12 %Link-W-Down: g1

%Link-I-Up: g1

%STP-W-Portstatus: g1: STP Status Forwarding

%Link-W-Down: g1

%Link-I-Up: g1

%STP-W-Portstatus: g1: STP Status Forwarding

etc.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2013 14:00

what do the lines of text say? do those lines of text match what the setup guide shows should be displayed?

Terminal>keyboard shows where VT100 is set at.

wiki.centre.edu/.../PuTTy_Installation_and_Settings

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 8th, 2013 06:00

Is the switch in managed mode right now? If we restart the switch while connected to it, do we get any prompts while the switch is booting?

23 Posts

April 8th, 2013 08:00

The switch is in managed mode.  When switch reboots, the black cmd screen appears and it goes through a Dell setup and ends with Console>.

If I am able to work on this again today, I am going to try a few different things and see if I get a different outcome.

No Events found!