Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 17th, 2011 22:00

PowerConnect 5548 Stacking

I have 2 5548 switches configured individually as core for an ESX farm, they support all ESX related traffic including iSCSI to the storage array.

Currently the 2 switches are configured with switch 1 having and uplink to the "edge" and switch 2 being uplinked to switch 1.  I would like to stack the two switches for higher availability.

My questions:  Can I do this automatically just by connecting the HDMI cable between the switches?

My guess is that I will lose VLAN and other configurations on one of the two switches. Is this correct? Can I control which switch looses the configurations and then re-apply them once the stack is active.

What is my recommended approach for converting this config to a stack?  Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,

Greg

67 Posts

October 18th, 2011 18:00

Effectively what stacking offers you is the ability to combine multiple switches as one with the onset of redundancy should one or more fail.  This has advantages not only as a single point of managment, but also from a "configuration" standpoint; for example creating VLANs from a single stack means you only have to do it once where in separate switches you would have to repeat the process for each an every switch.  

As for the specs, here's a cut/paste off the manual...

The system supports up to "eight units" with two fixed HDMI stacking ports.

The HDMI ports are 1.3a specification, Category 2 High Speed cables, 340

MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).

The stacking feature supports the following features:

• Fast-link failover

• Software auto-synch.

• Improved response time to events, such as master failover

• Auto-numbering algorithm when choosing unit number

Things to consider when stacking, is your band width.  Each cable is only capable of handling 10Gig/s - keep that in mind as you lay this out (max x2), while your switch is capable of 48 inband ports per switch.

Bottom line is, this is a cost effective deployment method when redundancy is needed.  Just understand your limits and you should be good (i.e.  Bandwidth across the stacked switches, type of traffic, number of layered features, etc).

Hope this helps.  Share your thoughts further if this doesn't answer your question.

67 Posts

October 18th, 2011 18:00

One more item I forgot.  If you could give some idea of how you plan to lay out your VM environment we can point you to some best practices on how to use a stack.

later

No Events found!