Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 27th, 2017 19:00

PowerConnect 6224 VLAN for WAN connection of VM router

I've created a VLAN containing 3 ports, 1 for each VM host connection and 1 for the modem.  The switch sees the MAC addresses in the VLAN for the VM and the modem.  However, I cannot get the network interface on the VM to receive the IP address from my ISP.

The ultimate goal is to be able to VMotion the router VM for maintenance and failover.

Can anyone provide any insight?  I search, but I apparently don't know the correct things to search for.  i would think this would be a fairly common question.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

June 28th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Is there a router between the modem and the switch? Is the modem and the VM hosts on the same VLAN?

17 Posts

June 28th, 2017 14:00

I haven't actually tried running the host's NIC to the modem.  I'll go try that now and get back to you.

As for pinging the modem, I have no idea what the modem's IP address would be.  To me, it's essentially just a transparent media converter from ethernet to coax.  I realize there's more going on under the covers, but I have no idea.

Edit:  XenServer 7.X

• 

8.5K Posts

On most home modems the default IP is 192.168.1.100, but yours could be different. 

17 Posts

The router *is* the VM, so there's no router between the modem and the switch.  And the port for the modem and the port carrying the VM's virtual WAN interface are both on the same VLAN.  Both MACs show up in the Dynamic Address Table as being in the same VLAN I created.

For some reason, the DHCP from the VM's WAN interface isn't getting out to pick up my public IP.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

If you bypass the switch does it get a DHCP address? If you set a static IP on the VM can it ping the modem? Which hypervisor are you using?

17 Posts

June 28th, 2017 16:00

I guess its back to the hypervisor, because it can't get an IP even putting the modem directly into that NIC.

I appreciate the second pair of eyes.  Learning is what a homelab is for.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

June 29th, 2017 16:00

Is it the only device on the switch? Is it on a separate vlan? How does the modem know which device to assign the ip address to?

17 Posts

June 29th, 2017 16:00

Okay, I'm back.

The modem is now connected directly to the host NIC, allowing the VM to get an IP from the ISP.  However, trying to run it through the switch gets it a 169.254.X.X and notice that the WAN interface is offline.

17 Posts

June 29th, 2017 18:00

While not the only device on the switch, the modem and the virtual NIC are the only devices in the VLAN, as planned.  And nothing else is sharing this particular physical NIC on the virtualization host.

Hypervisor has four NICs:

#1 - LAN connections for all VMs on the host, including the "internal" connection for the router - switch ports in default VLAN 1

#2,#3 - for future use, perhaps as a bonded VLAN connection for storage - not even physically connected right now

#4 - Only for WAN connection for router VM -  going to separate "WAN" VLAN 100 with three member switch ports. Two switch ports for hypervisor hosts and one for the modem, to allow router VM to vmotion between hypervisors and still talk to the outside world.

Oh, and then there's the iLO, of course.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense.   But as I said, right now the only way the router VM gets an IP is with the modem patched directly into NIC #4.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 30th, 2017 09:00

Do all of the mac addresses show up on the switch? Are there link lights? What hypervisor are you using?

17 Posts

June 30th, 2017 13:00

Yes, the MAC addresses show up in the Dynamic Address List, as being in VLAN 100, and there are link lights.

I am using XenServer 7.

It just doesn't seem to want to allow those DHCP requests to move across the switch.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 30th, 2017 15:00

Is ip routing enabled? If it is you may want to remove it from the switch. 

17 Posts

March 7th, 2018 18:00

It's been a few months, but I'm back to trying to solve this problem.

Currently, here are what I assume to be the pertinent parts that pertain:

!
configure
vlan database
vlan 100,200,300
exit

interface vlan 100
name "WAN"
exit

!
interface ethernet 1/g1
spanning-tree portfast
switchport access vlan 100
exit
!
interface ethernet 1/g2
spanning-tree portfast
exit
!
interface ethernet 1/g3
spanning-tree portfast
exit
!
interface ethernet 1/g4
spanning-tree portfast
exit
!

As near as I can tell, traffic should be able to pass between those four - and only those four - ports.  Do I need to change from access to general or somesuch?

As a refresher:

I have my modem into port 1/g1, and one interface apiece from my two hypervisors into ports 1/g2 and 1/g3, with 1/g4 for any potential expansion later.  Down those interfaces, my router VM - I am hoping - should be sending DHCP packets out, which would get an IP back from the ISP, via the modem.  With two VM hosts connected, I am hoping to be able to move the router between hosts, or run a failover VM.

Thanks!

18 Posts

March 13th, 2018 14:00

When I connect a  lan port of my bridged modem from my isp,I have to reboot the modem before I get an dhcpoffer to the new mac. Check your router for dhcp log.

No Events found!