Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2010 06:00

PowerConnect 6248P VLAN issue after upgrading to 3.2.0.7

We're currently running a stack of PowerConnect 6248P's with firmware 2.2.0.3.  I followed the upgrade procedure for upgrading the firmware and boot code to 3.2.0.7 (the latest available) and all seemed well until I did some checking on the status of one of our computers that talks to two VLANs we have setup:

• 1 - The default untagged data network
  • 10 - This is for our VOIP network including phones and any phone related hardware such as the VOIP server, VM server, attendant console, etc.

The phones continue to work fine, the entire voice network seems to work fine even, but when I checked out the attendant console I noticed something weird.  The attendant console software could no longer communicate properly with the VOIP server.  I could ping back and forth between the two VLANs just fine, no packet loss, but some data was obviously being lost as all of the phones appeared to be offline according to the attendant console software.  The phone attached to the same connection (tagged as 10) still worked flawlessly however.

If I revert the firmware and configuration file to back to 2.2.0.3 everything starts working properly again.

Here's my setup for VLANs:

• Most of our network is untagged for VLAN 1 with a PVID of 1 since this is our data network.
  • Those same ports that are untagged for VLAN 1 are tagged for VLAN 10 since they have phones connected to them as well and the phones are set for VLAN 10
  • Any computers, servers, etc that are part of our VOIP system are simply left blank for VLAN 1 (not sure of the proper definition for this, but in OpenManage in VLAN Membership, the toggle for Static and Current are just left blank)
  • The ports connected to a VOIP server, attendant console, etc. are then untagged for VLAN 10 and the PVID is set to 10

This setup works flawlessly with firmware 2.2.0.3, but when upgrading to firmware 3.2.0.7 it seems to break this.

After upgrading to 3.2.0.7, the VLAN Membership screen changes and all of those blank entries now change to F (Forbidden) for the current status.  If I try to make any changes and apply them I get the error: error! default vlan cannot be made static

At this point I'm lost on how to proceed.  Things are running just fine with 2.2.0.3, but I would prefer to be on the latest recommended firmware, particularly if we end up having to add switches in the future and those switches come loaded with the new firmware.  This really can't be as complicated as it seems can it?

One issue is that our attendant console is obviously required for business and I can't do anything with the switches until after hours.

16 Posts

December 13th, 2010 03:00

Resolved by installing a VLAN capable network card in the client machine.  Apparently PowerConnects no longer handle multiple untagged VLANs in 3.x firmware.  Worked just fine in 2.x firmware.

909 Posts

October 19th, 2010 06:00

please post your configuration file and any other information you think is important.

16 Posts

October 19th, 2010 08:00

Here is the running config with firmware 2.2.0.3

1 Attachment

909 Posts

October 19th, 2010 09:00

What kind of phones are you using?

2 things that changed in 3.2.0.7 that may be causing you problems are:

- CDP Interoperability.  Formally, CDP packets were forwarded as multicast, now they are "consumed" by the switch.

- Flow control enabled by default: may be causing more dropped packets in your network if all devices are not configured to have this enabled.

16 Posts

October 19th, 2010 09:00

We're using a Inter-tel (Mitel) 5000 system.  We're using Mitel 5224 and 5330 endpoints.  The phones aren't the problem though, neither is the voice server, etc.  The only issue I can find is that something is getting dropped (though ping doesn't indicate any dropped packets) on our attendant console which is untagged on vlan 10.

Any idea why it gives me the error default vlan cannot be made static?  It seems to me that I shouldn't be getting that after upgrading the firmware, but am I missing something somewhere?

909 Posts

November 10th, 2010 08:00

Can you please provide the additional information requested below:

- number of ports that are connected to phones, VoIP server, attendant console, etc.
- MAC addresses of the phones, VoIP server, attendent console, etc.
- Captured tx/rx traffic traces on the attendant console when everything is working fine and when the problem occurs.

November 20th, 2010 12:00

I had the same problem:
If you already created a new vlan(2) with an attached ip-adres.

I suggest that you change  the interface ip in another unused network. (with other vlan(3))

After that you are alloud to do more settings on vlan (1)

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 03:00

Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure I understand what it is that I need to do.  Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

16 Posts

December 9th, 2010 07:00

I found a workaround for this issue, but it has some problems.  For those problems see the following thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/p/19356707/19789610.aspx

The workaround for the original issue for this thread:

I upgraded to 3.2.0.7 (and subsequently 3.2.0.9) and then set the VLAN Mode to access for the port I was having issues with.  I then had to untag that port for VLAN 10 (our voice VLAN).  Access mode doesn't allow for tagged traffic so I had to go back and set the VLAN Mode for that port back to general.  By doing this I was then allowed to go back and untag that port for VLAN 10 (it was already untagged for VLAN 1 which is our data network).

Unfortunately when I subsequently upgraded to 3.2.0.9 from 3.2.0.7 I had to do the above procedure once again to get the computer on the other end of this port to talk correctly to both networks.  That's working correctly, but with a weird issue pertaining to accessing the data network in some cases which is explained in the thread linked above in this post.

No Events found!