Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

April 16th, 2010 09:00

PowerConnect 62xx stack cable spec

I have a couple of stacking module that need wiring up and don't have the original cables handy.

However, I do have some spare CX4 / Infiniband cables as I already use those modules on the switch. 

Can someone confirm that the stack module cables on the PowerConnect 62xx (M6220s and 6248s) are the same as the 1M CX4 cables?

Thanks!

2 Posts

April 28th, 2010 22:00

Hi,

We've played with this some.  Have 6248s stacked and servers connected over CX4 in to the 10GE modules on the 6248s.  The servers have Myricom NICs which include pretty good diagnostics.  We saw errors when using the Dell supplied CX4 cables for the 10GE connections, so we swapped those all out for Gore cables and things were stable.

Then we thought --- hey let's use the Gore cables for stacking as well.  The stacking cables are CX4.  If you compare the stacking and CX4 modules there are two small differences --- the boards have a could resistors added or removed, they seem to act like DIP switches to tell the switch the module function.  The other difference is in the face plate.  The stacking modules have more restrictive cable openings --- not all CX4 connectors will fit in.  This stymied our original attempt to try Gore cables for stacking.  Later we did change a few stacking links to use the Gore cables by either swapping the boards from a stacking module onto the CX4 faceplates, or using a nibbler to open up the hole on the stacking module.  We've used Gore cables for about a year without a problem, but didn't do a full conversion because of this difficulty.

So, long story short, yes the stacking cables are CX4 cables, but no not all CX4 cables will fit.

Maybe someone in the know can comment on why the stacking modules have openings keyed to the Dell cables.

No Events found!