Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 01:00

PowerConnect M6348 issues

Morning all,

Powerconnect M6348 was working aok in one chassis, moved to another, the green light comes on at the back and never goes to blue/green.

Trying to get to the web Gui fails, even trying racadm from the m1000e and then going to the blade console doesnt come up.  Unit is within guarantee, just wanted to exhaust all options before getting a replacement.  I do not have the USB/Serial cable to hand (office move lost that) but to fix it, dont mind going down to maplin and buying USB/Serial cable.

Any thoughts?  Should we try forcing a firmware upgrade to it, the problem is I do not know what release it is on in the first place :(

14 Posts

August 9th, 2013 08:00

An update to the above, from the CMC I see :

I/O Module C2 did not boot within the expected time.

I also can from racadm make the blue master like blink on and off (so it can talk to it at the very least).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 9th, 2013 11:00

I would start with start with simple things like re-seating the switch. Maybe try a different slot if available. You may also need to find that console cable, connect to the switch and see if it is stopping the boot process with any error messages.

14 Posts

August 12th, 2013 05:00

Hi Daniel

Ok after a good search cant find the cable - do you know the part number and I will order a new one ? :-)

Thanks,Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2013 07:00

Any USB to DB9 serial adapter cable should work.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

14 Posts

August 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi Daniel,

Well I have tried a null modem cable as well as a StarTech FTDI USB to RS232 Serial Null Modem cable.  Plugging this into a known working M6348 at 9600/N/8/1 and zip comes up on a working M6348.

I can buy one of those cables that you mentioned if you are sure it is the correct cable, ill need to get it from the UK mind you but will get it ordered.

If that doesnt work on the working M6348 - whats plan b?

14 Posts

August 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi Daniel,

In windows I used hyperterminal and zoc - I tested the cable conencting pins 2 and 3 and was getting echo'd back quite happily.

I am just about to try Linux and a terminal app to see if I get any further.  The worrying this is, I get nothing back from the M6348 either the working or non working one.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2013 08:00

What emulation software are you using when trying to connect the working M6348?

The setup guide for the M6348 just says to use a USB to DB9 cable.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2013 09:00

Just looked that part number up and it will definitely work.

14 Posts

August 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi Daniel,

Would the Dell M6220 Powerconenct cable work ? Dell PN WY835 ?  If so I can get one of those next day :-)

14 Posts

August 14th, 2013 06:00

HI Daniel,

Cable has arrived :)

On working unit we get an inverse question mark, and then after a very short while it goes to boot menu 5.1.0.1 offering to load 1. start operation code 2. start boot menu and after 10 secs it starts option 1 on its own.

On "non working" card, we get 2 inverse question marks for first boot.  Then power cycle card, and this time we get nothing - nowt :(

Any ideas or is there anyway we can force as we have the cable a firmware upgrade or recovery image?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2013 07:00

Without being able to access the boot menu there is not a way to force a firmware upgrade. Have you tried re-seating the unit and trying the unit in a different slot? If so then it may be time to look into calling in and getting a case open, it may be a hardware fault.

No Events found!