Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2008 08:00

PowerConnect SNTP sync will not work

I've tried everything I can think of to get the time and date set on my 6248. I've tried using public, stratum 2 NTP servers; I've setup my own unicast NTP server that is a DC in a domain; I've tried turning on broadcasting with UDP relay; I've tried saving run to start and rebooting the system; I've got the latest firmware installed. Nothing works. Can anyone help? Here's my "show sntp configuration"

Polling interval: 128 seconds
MD5 Authentication keys:
Authentication is not required for synchronization.
Trusted keys:
No trusted keys.
Unicast clients: Enable

Unicast servers:
Server          Key             Polling
---------       -----------     -----------
192.168.9.9     Disabled        Enabled

Any help would be appreciated.

B. Schultz

December 13th, 2008 10:00

Here's an update: I connected to Dell chat support and they found the source of the problem--Management ACL's block SNTP traffic. You have to have a explicit permit rule in the priority list. Also, the DOS attack suppression still has to be disabled; this was not addressed in 2.2.0.3. Hopefully they'll get to that because I'd like to use it. I may try to zero in on which part of DOS suppression is causing the problem.

B. Schultz

November 26th, 2008 13:00

Found the cause of the problem. SNTP will not sync up if you have DOS attack protection on. This is apparently a bug with the latest version of the firmware. Hopefully Dell will address it in the next patch.

B. Schultz

3 Posts

December 11th, 2008 11:00

Unfortunately, I am still stuck. I updated to FW 2.2.0.3 last night, and now SNTP is hopelessly broken. DOS attack protection is entirely disabled, so that is not a factor. I actually started from scratch with the firmware, manually resetting all of the various switch configuration parameters, so I know it's not a matter of bringing in wonky config information from the old firmware revision (1.0.0.27). Dell definitely broke something. I'm going to take it up with support and see what sort of walls I run into.

Randy

December 11th, 2008 11:00

Huh. I just performed the 2.2.0.3 myself and now SNTP has stopped working again. I suppose I'll do another packet sniff and look at the NTP frame coming from our Internet gateway. If it shows success (like it did when it was working) I'll know that it's the switch. Keep me posted if you hear anything from Dell.

B. Schultz

3 Posts

December 13th, 2008 11:00

Brandon,

Excellent! Thanks for the update! I haven't had a chance to contact them myself... Exchange 2007 migration ate my week. I'll dig into that later today, though. Can't push syslog data with bad time on the switches... throws off my reporting mojo.

Thanks again!

Randy

3 Posts

December 15th, 2008 05:00

Worked great! Don't think I'd have thought to check that, frankly. I appreciate your posting the results. I was able to get things all smooth and shiny over the weekend. Now if I could only warm up the -25 wind chills outside...

December 15th, 2008 06:00

Good deal. Try apple cider--it's season for it!

December 15th, 2008 07:00

And here's what I discovered this morning regarding Denial of Service: I've narrowed it down to "Denial of Service L4 port". When this is enabled the switch will not allow a successful time update to occur.

185 Posts

May 7th, 2015 07:00

Years later & on my 5548 I still get:

%SNTP-D-NTPBADVER: NTP server version not compatible

with latest available firmware

Unit             SW version         Boot version         HW version

------------------- ------------------- ------------------- -------------------

1               4.1.0.12            1.0.0.14            00.00.02

Any idea what needs to be actually changed (in GUI or CLI) to get it working?

Seb

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2015 11:00

spgsit, what are you using as your ntp server? Can you show us your current running config? Does the switch still pull a time? or is the time off? On a side note there is a more recent firmware out for the switch. I am not sure it would help with this message, but may help with over all operability.

http://dell.to/1F1oH4G

185 Posts

May 7th, 2015 14:00

clock summer-time GMT recurring eu

clock source sntp

sntp unicast client enable

sntp unicast client poll

sntp server 10.0.0.45 poll

It is Windows Server 2012 R2 that does NTP for all devices on my network

console# show clock                                  

21:20:46 GMT(UTC+1)  May 7 2015

Time source is sntp

Seb

185 Posts

May 8th, 2015 07:00

Upgraded to latest code, still get errors:

ERRPARSETZSTRING - %SNTP-D-NTPBADVER: NTP server version not compatible

12 Posts

September 17th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

I have the same problem but with version 3.0.0.98 and I have the state of the NTP server as unknown.

Please can you write here the rule, and where exactly to add it, that I can enable it too.

And I have an additional question: Is possible to add the NTP servers as FQDN or only as IP addresses?

Thanks for help.

No Events found!