Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2016 15:00

Problem settings up VLANs on PowerConnect 2724

I am having issues getting VLAN's setup on my PC 2724. I have 2 switches, a 5324 that connects to most of my servers and a 2724 for core networking (routers, backup NAS, cablecard tuners, wireless, etc.)

They both connect with a Gigabit Fiber SFP on Port 24. On the 5424 its in trunk mode with the native VLAN being 101 (the main client network), the rest of the switch is set to native VLAN 100 (main server network). In this configuration the 2724 has a native vlan of 101 and allowing all the other vlans. When i put the 2724 in managed mode and setup the VLAN where 23/24 had all tagged vlans, all the ports were set to untagged with PVID 101. It looked to work but for some reason DHCP was no longer working for my client in 101 (dont know about the other VLAN yet because were in the middle of recovering our VMware cluster)

Sorry for no spell check were really busy today trying to fix vmware

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 14:00

Is the DHCP server in VLAN 101, or some other VLAN? If it is in a different VLAN, do one of the switches have DHCP relay configured? What switch is the DHCP server plugged into?

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 19:00

The DHCP server is on the router on the 2724. It "should" be on all the VLAN interfaces. Now that i have reset it and using VLAN as the primary as 1 it seems to be fine. (Basically 5324 101 -> 2324 1)

I did not see relay on any of the switches, If there is that would make my day!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2016 09:00

Glad to hear DHCP is working for the untagged VLAN now. It sounds like perhaps there was something no correctly configured on the 2724. It is hard to tell exactly what that could of been without seeing the configuration and topology.

I just checked the user guides for the 2724 and 5324 and neither seem to offer DHCP relay. What OS does the DHCP server have on it? I can help do some research, perhaps there is a way for the DHCP server to received and send tagged packets for the other VLANs, allowing it to hand out addresses to the other VLANs without the use of DHCP relay.

No Events found!