Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2017 23:00

Reset SNMP port status

We have a dell 6224 switch which is being monitored using SNMP. One of the servers connected to that switch was turned off as we don't need it anymore. Now the switch SNMP engine says the status of the port is 2. This is stuck like that in our network monitor and the port status does not change. I want to "reset" the port status as if nothing was ever connected there just so it will be removed from the warning list in my monitoring software. I assume that if I reboot the switch it will solve the problem but was wondering if there is a way to "reset" the SNMP engine without rebooting the switch

212 Posts

September 29th, 2017 08:00

Hi Daniavni,

Typically port status is not polled, but rather gained from a trap. It could be the SNMP tool you are using may be holding onto the last trap information received.  The 2 is probably a "port down" status.  You may be able to remove the status (bring back to default) within the SNMP tool itself using an "acknowledge" or "delete entry" function, or similar.  If this is not the issue, another thing to try is plugging in other device(s) to see if the port status will change that way.  Another device plugged in will help troubleshoot as well as verify that the port still functions properly. 

Hope this helps.

-B

12 Posts

September 29th, 2017 09:00

Hi Barrett

The information is polled with LogicMonitor and it's polling lots of info on each port (about 20 metrics per port and status is only one of them). Acknowledging the alert on the LogicMonitor side will do nothing as the polling still reports the status as 2. Connecting another device will "fix" the issue but once that device is disconnected the status will return. I need some way to "reset" the snmp service (telnet/ssh maybe?)

212 Posts

September 29th, 2017 10:00

What do other ports show as their status?  Is the (off) server cable still plugged in, or is that switch port now empty (nothing plugged in)?   All SNMP is doing is reporting what is in the MIB, I doubt there is a way to reset the service, but a reboot of the switch (if possible) may work wonders.  In this particular instance, the port is most likely in status 2 for a reason, probably much to do with how it is currently configured.  If the port is showing a different status than other empty ports, then compare them in CLI or WebUI.  As always, it's best practice to make sure you have the last firmware.  

-B

12 Posts

September 29th, 2017 22:00

The cable is still connected to the switch as the old device was not physically removed yet. on the web ui the port looks just like any other disconnected port. 

The strange thing is that I tried resetting the switch and when it loaded the port SNMP polled status was still 2. 

212 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 08:00

Does the 2 go away when you reboot the switch without any cable plugged into the port?  Have you tried a MIB browser to try and find the meaning of the 2?  If you load the MIB in a browser it will allow you to parse the files into a user-friendly format where you should be able to search and find exactly what all possible values are for the port and what the 2 indicates.  My guess is you are going to want to look at the IF-MIB file.  You may be able to simply open the file in a word processor and find it that way as well, but if you can't locate what you're looking for then a browser may make it a bit easier.

No Events found!