Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2011 09:00

Some network devices cannot contact DHCP server through switch (Powerconnect 5224)

Hey guys,

So, network setup is Modem>Router (Netgear WNDR3700)>Powerconnect 5224.  We have plain old Verizon DSL.

Now, connected to the switch I have my server, and then we have 2 desktops, an XBox 360, and a PS3.  I have some wall jacks spread around that I plug machines that I'm working on into.

It seems that some (I can't yet find a pattern) of devices cannot obtain an IP address through the switch.  The PS3 times out, and I have two lappies that time out if I use wired.  Obviously wireless is fine because it's directly to the router, so I've isolated it to the switch.  If I plug the PS3 (for example) into the router and allow it to get a lease, then plug it back into the switch, it's fine.

I used to have Jumbo Frames enabled, but I disabled it a while back so I could try out some link aggregation.

Any ideas on the problem?

9 Posts

March 5th, 2011 09:00

Oh, and the server, two desktops, and Xbox can obtain/renew addresses fine.

March 7th, 2011 14:00

Hi Touche112,

your described problem seems to be solved very easily. The different devices do not get an IP address through to an option in the switch webinterface. This feature is called Fast Link or Portfast.  

Fast Link — When selected, enables Fast Link mode for the port. If Fast Link mode is enabled for a port,  the Port State is automatically placed in the Forwarding state when the port link is up. Fast Link mode optimizes the time it takes for the STP protocol to converge. STP convergence can take 30-60 seconds in large network

So in webinteface enable option "Switch --> Spanning Tree -->  STP Port Setting --> Fastlink" for the relative port where the device is connected to or on CLI (Command Line Interface) 

console#configuration

console(config)# interface ethernet g1  | g1 for the port 1

console(config-if)# spanning-tree portfast

You can find more information to spanning tree in the manual
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/network/54xx/en/UG/PDF/en_ug.pdf (Page 304 - 311) 

Regards,

Rodger

9 Posts

March 27th, 2011 12:00

I don't have an option in the GUI or CLI for STP Port Settings, or Portfast.  The manual you linked is for a 5424, I have a 5224.  :(

No Events found!