Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2012 14:00

Stacking vs 10Gb Uplink

I have several PowerConnect 6248Ps that are not currently stacked. Most of them are deployed is distribution and then uplinked to the server room via trunked 10Gb links. There are several switches in the server room with one of them acting as the Defualt Gateway for the LAN.I've got a Mgt. vLAN, data vLAN, and a VoIP vLAN, that each endpoint in the network may or may not need access to.

My question is do I want to put the 4 in the server room into a stack? Why/Why Not? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~John

• 

6.9K Posts

January 9th, 2012 10:00

Hello John,

If you were to use stacking you can get a faster transfer rate of 48Gbps.  Also you can have up to 12 systems, with each switch supporting up to 232Gbps in switch capacity.  There is a speed increase that can be gained by making the change to stacking over the 10gb uplink.  Currently the stacking module cost $299.99 + tax if you wanted to purchase them.  Here is also a link to the manual where it explains the differences in more detail.  You can look on Page 62 & page 250.  support.dell.com/.../ucg_en.pdf

Let us know how it goes

July 6th, 2012 22:00

Thanks Sam.

On using the stacking module a bit now, the 48Gbs mention comes from using both ports on the stacking module. Each of the two ports gets 12Gbs up/in and 12Gbs down/out (x2 for each port)  for that total of 48Gbs.

Management of the switches is also simplified IF each port is similarly configured as you don't need to configure the link between the two switches as the stacking takes care of that as well. If many of the ports need custom vlan settings or the like then the unit ID being different can be a bit of a pain when trying to bulk update switches but it's just something to watch for.

No Events found!