Highlighted
dangby
1 Copper

Switching to Managed mode on a Dell PowerConnect 2724

We have a Dell PowerConnect 2724 in our rack at our ISP, but it is currently in its default state, without managed mode turned on.

I'm new to using managed switches and need some advice and answers on what to setup.

Our ISP gives us a gateway IP that we are using on all the machines in our rack, and they are plugged in through the Dell switch.

The ISP is charging us for bandwidth that really should be staying in our rack just because it hits their gateway switch before it is sent back to our rack. Why in the world wouldn't a 'switch' be smarter than that and not actually switch traffic out of the box? It is kind of dumb that it even has to be configured, although I suppose it would be contrary to the IP protocol if the switch just decided to grab packets meant for the gateway and were to send them to their intended destination in the rack, so anyway... I get it, but we need to stop the traffic that is meant to stay in the rack from getting to the switch, and that means turning on managed mode.

So now my inexperience with managed switches will show... can we just turn on managed mode and allow our machines that are setup with external IP addresses to continue talking through the Dell switch to the gateway if their traffic is meant to leave the rack, but if the traffic is meant to just go to another machine in the rack (say back and forth between a database server, or to a backups machine) the Dell switch can be smart enough to not first send the data over to our ISP's gateway router? If that is possible, we won't have to switch IPs all over the place, including in our web applications and databases, etc., etc. Can each machine that needs to talk to the outside internet (they all do pretty much) continue to have its own external IP like now but still have the traffic meant for another machine in the rack avoid the ISP gateway switch?

I know that the PowerConnect 2724 has port based VLANs available to be configured, but I don't know whether we'll need to use them. Basically every machine ought to be able to talk to each other, and to the outside internet, but we don't want it to talk to the gateway switch so we aren't charged for using bandwidth that really shouln't leave the cabinet.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dangby
1 Copper

Re: Switching to Managed mode on a Dell PowerConnect 2724

Here are links to the PowerConnect 2724 documentation and specs:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2724?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/network/PC27xx/en/index.htm

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/network/PC27xx/en/ug/PDF/UG_ENd.pdf

0 Kudos
bh1633
3 Cadmium

set up 2 tagged vlans on each of the server nics.  For example:

vlan 101: for ISP destined traffic (subnet: 10.10.101.x/24)

vlan 102: for traffic between servers (subnet: 10.10.102.x/24)

Configure each of the ports on the 2724 connected to the servers to be a tagged member of vlans 101 and 102.

Configure the port on the 2724 connected to the ISP switch to be a member of vlan 101 (probably untagged) only.

Applications running on the servers that need to communicate with the other servers, should use 10.10.102.x subnet.  The default gateway should be 10.10.102.xxx (xxx is the isp switch on the 101 vlan).

0 Kudos
bh1633
3 Cadmium

Error in last sentence (the isp is on the 101 subnet):

Applications running on the servers that need to communicate with the other servers, should use 10.10.102.x subnet.  The default gateway should be 10.10.101.xxx (xxx is the isp switch on the 101 vlan).

0 Kudos