Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2012 09:00

To stack or not to stack new fibre connected switch.

Hello All,

I've got an existing stack of 2x 6248 + 1X 6248P switches, connected using the stacking modules and cables in the first bay on the rear of the switches, so the stacking cable layout looks like this:

6248 1/xg1 -> 2/xg2

6248P 2/xg1 -> 3/xg2

6248 3/xg1 -> 1/xg2

I'm adding a 6224 switch to extend our network, and this will be connected back to the main switches over fibre (it's located in a separate builing around 300 meters from the network cabinet).

I've got a dual port SFP+ module in the 6248p switch in the main stack with one SFP+ transceiver, this is port 2/xg3.

The 6224 switch has a dual port SFP+ module and and SFP+ Transceiver in port xg1.

I'm testing the configuration before putting into production, and just by connecting everything up and power up the 6224 switch, I have connectivity across the fibre. So, now the connections look like this:

6248 1/xg1 -> 2/xg2

6248P 2/xg1 -> 3/xg2     2/xg3 -> 4/xg1

6248 3/xg1 -> 1/xg2

However, the 6224 switch isn't currently a stack member, the connection is listed as "ethernet" as opposed to "stack".

The network configuration is pretty straightforward, e.g. no vlans etc. So, my question is, is there any advantage or disadvantage to making this switch a stack member (apart from the advantage of being able to manage it as part of the stack).

If it does make sense to stack the 6224, what is the recommended cabling configuration or would I need another SFP + module in another switch & transceivers & fibre runs etc. to give some redundancy?

Thanks,

Brian

802 Posts

May 11th, 2012 10:00

Brian,

Dell PowerConnect stacking provides multiple switch management through a single point as if all stack members are a single unit. All stack members are accessed through a single IP address through which the stack is managed.

That is basically the only advantage of stacking which from a management perspective is very helpful in saving time.

As far as the connectivity:

Configurable CX-4/Stacking Modules

This feature allows the stacking and CX-4 plug-in modules to be configured to either role (Ethernet or

Stacking). By default, the module will function according to its module ID. Upon changing the role of a

module, a reboot will be required for the change to take effect.

stack

Use the stack command in Global Configuration mode to set the mode to

Stack Global Config.

Syntax

stack

Default Configuration

This command has no default mode.

Command Mode

Global Configuration mode

User Guidelines

This command has no user guidelines

Example

The following example sets the mode to Stack Global Config.

console(config)#stack

console(config-stack)#

stack-port

Use the stack-port command in Stack Configuration mode to configure Stack

ports as either Stacking ports or as Ethernet ports. This command is used to

configure CX-4 ports to be either stacking or Ethernet ports. By default, CX-4

ports are Ethernet ports

Syntax

stack-port / {ethernet | stack}

Default Configuration

By default, these ports are configured as stacking ports.

Command Mode

Stack Configuration mode

User Guidelines

The clear config command will not change the stacking port mode. Only the

stack-port command can change the operating mode of the stacking port and

it only takes effect after a reboot when changing between stacking and

Ethernet mode. If this command is used with a CX-4 module, the ports will

be forced to Ethernet mode upon reboot.

Example

console(config-stack)#stack-port 1/xg3 ethernet

console(config-stack)#

Port-Channel/Lag

You can run multiple cable runs and then have the redundancy you are looking for.

The benefits of Link Aggregation include:

• Increased Availability — If a link within a LAG fails or is replaced, the traffic is not disrupted and communication is maintained (even though the available capacity is reduced).
  • Load Sharing — Traffic is distributed across multiple links, minimizing the probability that a single link be overwhelmed.
  • Use of Existing Hardware — Firmware replaces the need to upgrade the hardware to higher bandwidth capacity.

Creating LAGs – Static Two-port LAG

console> enable

console# configure

console(config)# interface range ethernet g1-2

console(config-if)# channel-group 1 mode on

console(config-if)# exit

console(config)#

Creating LAGs – Dynamic LACP LAG

console> enable

console# configure

console(config)# interface range ethernet g1-2

console(config-if)# channel-group 1 mode auto