Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 07:00

Trouble connecting to the CLI / console on a pair of Dell Force10 S25

I've obtained a pair of Dell Force10 S25 switches and I'm trying to log into the switches to test / reset them. I have no luck accessing the CLI on either of the switches.

I'm using HyperTerminal, 9600/8/n/1 and I simply get no readout on my screen.

The "stack ID" shows A0 on the unit I'm currently trying and A1 on the other.

I believe these 2 units were stacked together before they were decommissioned. They're not stacked currently while I'm trying to connect to them.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

March 18th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

What kind of cable are you using, the connection to the console port has to be a straight through cable and not a crossover cable. The settings you have for the terminal are correct. Can you try a different program such as Putty? It is also possible if these were not reset to default that the settings were changed, so you might want to try different baud rates.

March 19th, 2015 07:00

Thank you for the help - it is a straight through cable. I'll try each and every baud rate I suppose - and putty. Will report back!

March 19th, 2015 07:00

I've tried Putty, a second serial cable, and every baud setting. No go. Any other suggestions? There simply must be a setting I'm missing here, somewhere... its possible there is a problem with the switch, but I doubt we received 2 switches with an identical hardware issue. Is it possible they disabled the CLI somehow?

• 

8.5K Posts

March 19th, 2015 10:00

I am not seeing a way to fully disable the console. Try the steps on page 77 and see if that will reset it http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Common/force10-s25p_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

March 20th, 2015 13:00

Thanks again for the response - still not having any luck. I've pretty much just mashed the keyboard after powering up the switch (the link you provided states I can press any button during boot to break) and still nothing. Nothing reading on the command interface. This is so frustrating - I don't know what can be wrong here. Especially with 2 units. Tried with multiple serial cables, multiple computers and multiple terminals. Ugh!

• 

8.5K Posts

March 20th, 2015 14:00

Does the console port RJ45 jack show link lights? Have you tried an RJ45 to DB9 cable? Do you know why the switches were decommissioned originally? You may also want to try an IP scanner to see if it has an IP assigned and if you can connect to that.  

March 23rd, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the responses,

I'm starting to think I have no understanding of what a "straight-through" cable is. I've been using a blue cisco RJ-45 to DB-9 female. Part# 72-3383-01 . I need to find a "straight through" cable to work for this switch. As the console is a RJ-45 port, doesn't that mean I'll need an RJ-45 to serial cable?

Can someone point me to a part number or item that would FOR SURE be a straight-through console cable that would work with my Force10 S25?

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 09:00

I am not sure if Cisco wires their cables the same way. http://www.force10networks.com/CSPortal20/KnowledgeBase/DOCUMENTATION/InstallGuidesQuickrefs/S-Series/S25_QSG_09-30-2011.pdf page 17 shows the pinout for our cables.

The straight through cable is for RJ45 to RJ45.

March 24th, 2015 07:00

OK - it looks like I need an RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter.

I'm pretty novice when it comes to this stuff so thanks for your patience. From what I understand I can't just plug in a ethernet cable from the console port to my computer's NIC and log into the console that way? This is why I'm assuming I need the adapter.

• 

8.5K Posts

March 24th, 2015 07:00

If you use a straight through cable you can use an Ethernet cable. It just has to have the same wires on both ends, unlike a crossover cable which reverses the wires.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2016 11:00

Jeffrey, I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same pickle as you were.  I have a Force10 S25 also and can't get the console to come up.  It was from an estate sale so there isn't anyone around to ask what they did to set it up...

I've tried 3 different cables, (I even have a cable specifically for this switch), I've used putty and hyperterm and can't get anything to connect.

Question is, what did you do to finally get a connection?  Were you able to reset the switch to default using any other means?

Thanks, Tim

1 Message

October 25th, 2017 12:00

I've obtained a pair of Dell Force10 S25 switches and I'm trying to log into the switches to test / reset them. I have no luck accessing the CLI on either of the switches.

I'm using HyperTerminal, 9600/8/n/n and I simply get no readout on my screen.

The "stack ID" shows A0 on the unit I'm currently trying and A1 on the other.

These units are stacked together. 

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

1 Message

November 8th, 2017 19:00

Success.  I am consoled into a Force10 S25.  I used a Cisco rollover cable with a RJ45 rollover adapter, ie rollover twice.  I believe you can also use a female-female coupler with two Cisco cables.  

1 Attachment

5 Posts

January 26th, 2018 17:00

Josh

I too having an issue. I used putty and using default settings but showing no activity. Just black screen. I connected the RJ45 cable to R232 on device and at the end of RJ45 its DB9 and then DB9 to USB. Please any assistance I would appreciate

5 Posts

January 26th, 2018 17:00

Hatch

So from the DB9, are you connected to USB?

No Events found!