Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2013 10:00

Trying to gain access to 3 Dell switches - 1 5212 & 2 5324

I have 1 PowerConnect 5212, & 2 5324 switches that the previous admin left no configuration information for (at least they had the IP labeled on the front). Tried reaching out to previous admin, no luck as of yet. That said, without doing a complete reset to factory defaults (thus wiping out any possible non-default configuration on these switches) can I do with these? I am pretty sure they have some vlan/etc configuration otherwise I would just wipe them. What are the default credentials for these switches & any way I can get perhaps even the userid in use on these so I can wildly try random passwords?

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 27th, 2013 07:00

On some of the switches the boot menu will have a password recovery procedure. This should get you a one time access to the switch, you can then copy configs and change user credentials.

worth looking into, hope it helps.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 7th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

There is not a password recovery option that will retain the existing configuration on these models. The password recovery feature is the following, but it will lose the existing settings.

• Connect to the switch via the console port and manually reboot the switch "powercycle"
  • As soon as power is applied, press and hold the [Ctrl] and keys simultaneously
  • At the menu, press R for the " eturn to Factory Default" option
  • Press Q for uit, menu will exit and switch will reboot to default config, username 'admin' password 'admin'

43 Posts

November 27th, 2013 06:00

That is too bad to hear there is no backdoor like I have seen on Cisco devices. If at all possible I would have liked to have avoid killing the configuration because of the vlans & any other custom configuration on the devices. Any possible way to at least *read* the current configuration at least, then I can wipe it, update it, & reapply the configuration (minus the unknown credentials)?

43 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 16:00

After taking a second look at the serial consoles of the 5324 I was able to add a second level 15 user & gain access that way. The 5212 serial console did not allow this, but did at least print out the config on boot, & then using the instructions in the manual with the specific serial console settings allowed me to ctrl+f on boot to reset it back to factory defaults. Consider the thread closed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 05:00

Good to hear, thanks for keeping us updated.

cheers

No Events found!