Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2006 03:00

Two trunk ports? Port based VLAN

I have a VLAN that needs to come and go to two different locations via wireless bridges.  Can I run two trunk ports on the same switch for the connections to the wireless bridges?

Thanks
Jeff

812 Posts

January 18th, 2006 10:00

If the wireless bridges support 802.1q tagging, you should be able to trunk the VLANs. If they do not support 802.1q, they will either forward the tagged frames or drop them. Please see the vendor documenation for the wireless bridges.

Note: If a bridging loop is created by trunking two ports to separate wireless bridges, Spanning Tree may disable one of the ports.

6 Posts

January 18th, 2006 13:00

Thanks Greg,

The bridges do support q and up to this point (without having 2 trunk ports on the same switch) have worked perfectly.  Currently I am using 2 switches with a port based VLAN (to match private VLAN) to get the job done.  Will be nice to move the 2nd switch to a more usefull spot.

Jeff

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2006 14:00

So what your saying is if my wireless bridge supports 802.1q trunking then I should set my port to trunking, what should I set my vlan settings at on the voice vlan, tagged ,untagged, or nothing....

I'm new to the dell switches and vlanning , any help is appreciated.
No Events found!