Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2014 05:00

Unable to login to switch after firmware upgrade

I have a power connect 6224 switch that had everything configured and I was accessing it via the web gui for about a year now. I Upgraded it's firmware a few times before without any problems.

today I upgraded from 3.3.7.3 to 3.3.11.2. I did this using the following method:

1. I uploaded the firmware using the web GUI

2. I verified in the versions link on the web GUI it was uploaded

3. I used the CLI to make the image active and update the boot code (boot system image1, update bootcode)

the switch rebooted and technically it's working but i cannot access it using telnet or the web GUI. it seems to have forgotten then login and/or changed the password.

What can I do to access it? I have another switch like this and am now afraid to upgrade it as I might loose access to it too.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2014 07:00

I would make a serial connection to the switch. You should be able to access the CLI that way, check the logging and running config, see if anything has changed.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2022 09:00

Did you ever get a solution to fix this? I've just done the same thing to a Dell 6248 that was running fine for years ... upgraded the firmware from 3.3.1.0 to the Feb 2018 3.3.18.1, set it to Active and rebooted ... now the Switch is back up and appears to be working but, I can't log into the Web Ui anymore. Syas 'connection Refused'.

I knew I shouldn't have upgraded the firmware  

• 

3.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2022 20:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell. This is quite normal when upgrading to a higher code. 

https://dell.to/3PDywwR

Enable HTTPS/SSH and disable HTTP/Telnet for switch management on PowerConnect 6200 series switches. | 
Please configure on switch to access WEB GUI. 
Hope this helps.

162 Posts

September 14th, 2022 03:00

Try this steps -

Turn off the computer.
Disconnect the AC adapter or power cable from the computer, and remove the battery (for Dell laptops with removable battery).
NOTE: For Dell laptops that have a nonremovable battery, see the Dell knowledge base article How to reset Real Time Clock (RTC).
For Dell laptops with removable batteries, see the User Guide for your Dell laptop for step-by-step instructions to safely remove the battery.

Disconnect all devices such as USB drives, printers, webcams, and media cards (SD/xD).
Press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds to drain residual power.
Connect the AC adapter or power cable and the battery (for Dell laptops).
If your Dell computer can turn on but is unable to boot into Windows, identify the symptoms and follow the appropriate troubleshooting guide.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

2 Posts

February 13th, 2024 06:30

@RachelGomez​ Very thorough, but you could also add: reinstalling the operating system. And if that does not work then buy a new computer. And if the switch is still having problems focus on that.

No Events found!