Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2017 08:00

Using a N3024F for a redundant internet connection

I am looking to use a single N3024F for a redundant internet connection setup. This would be in the case where I would have separate ISP both coming into the switch. If our main ISP has an outage the switch would auto failover to the secondary connection. It appears I would need BGP compatible switch to make this work. What are the N3024F capabilities for this type of scenario?

(Note the single N3024F would have redundant power supply's however please let me know if you believe two N3024F's would be a better solution if the N3024F is capable of what I am trying to accomplish.)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2017 13:00

There is nothing the switch can do in a situation like this. Here is a post in the SpiceWorks community, where a someone asked a similar question. Community members provided some really good information, and may provide you with some different possible options to look into.

http://bit.ly/2pOv8nK

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 12:00

With a single switch you could probably just enter two static routes, one with a better priority. This would create a scenario where traffic would go out the better priority connection, if the link went down, then traffic would go out the second route. This would not track any IP Addresses though, and the fail over would solely be based on the interface being up or down.

the use of one switch, means that the one switch is going to be your single point of failure. If you had a second switch, you could enable VRRP and utilize VRRP route tracking. You can read more about this feature on page 1297 of the user guide: http://dell.to/1WFiTWT

4 Posts

May 12th, 2017 12:00

That might work for outbound routing to the internet but it seems like it wouldn’t do any good for inbound access from the outside. Is that the case?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 13:00

The switch has no control over which ISP connection outside traffic uses to initiate communication with your internal network.

Returning traffic will come back in through gateway the initial traffic left.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2017 09:00

How would this work in the following scenario for INBOUND traffic.

I have a web server “owa.test.com” set up for a static ip address in the subnet of my primary ISP ip.

If my primary ISP goes down, I will be able to browse the internet outbound from my site using the backup ISP but a user in the field trying to access “owa.test.com” which I host be unable to access it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2017 12:00

If the two external connections were from the same ISP, I am certain you could have the connection still work if one dropped. But with each connection being a different ISP, I am not sure if/how you would get that to work.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2017 12:00

This would be a setup with two external connections with each connection being a different ISP.

No Events found!