Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 21st, 2017 07:00

VLAN Setup / Dell PowerConnect 2816 and 2824

I am trying to set up two VLANS on the PowerConnect 2816 (in test mode) and eventually on the 2824. Although I have read the manual carefully, I'm having a bit of a disconnect between how I associate a particular port with a certain VLAN and an elevated Quality of Service. 

We have a small (10 user) network, and I would like to set some switch ports to give priority for VOIP traffic.

I have the 2816 in managed mode, and have set up VLAN 2 with the intent of it being the VOIP VLAN.

I would appreciate any suggestions.  I would like to keep this as simple as possible and not use separate subnets for the different VLANS unless necessary.

Thanks very much.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 21st, 2017 12:00

Are the phones and workstations plugging into the same port? Or are the phones plugging into the switch independent from the workstations?

In most cases, a VLAN will have a different subnet from other VLANs. If these two VLANs will always be separate and never route between each other, then you could have the subnet in each. Do both VLANs need access to the internet and others parts of the LAN?

The QoS feature on the 2824 will allow you set values per interface. The user guide takes you step by step on how this is done. Page 144: http://dell.to/28JdImh

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 06:00

Thank you, Daniel.  For the few VOIP phones in this network, the phone and workstation plug into the same port.  I would like to elevate the quality of service for those ports above all others in an attempt to resolve some voice sound quality issues.

I've changed the QoS on the interface containing a test phone and workstation to 7 (highest) and have left the other interfaces at QoS 0.

Both VLANS do need access to the internet (in support of a cloud-based VOIP phone system) and  sometimes it is necessary to access the phone's interface from a computer for programming changes.

Is implementing a separate VLAN the appropriate solution, or should I start with setting the QoS on the few ports that have phones?

I really appreciate your assistance and prompt reply.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 08:00

Queue 6 and 7 are typically reserved for network control, I suggest putting voice traffic in queue 5.

Based on the hardware being used, and the need for everything to be on the same subnet, VLANs are not going to be a practical solution. I would set the priority higher for the interfaces with phones, then test to see if that resolves the quality issue.

Do you have a layer 3 networking device on the network? Firewall? Layer 3 switch? Or just these 2800 series switches?

7 Posts

Daniel, thank you for your expertise and guidance.

Is this the correct setting for the ports that have voice?  I have not made any other changes to the switch.

We do have a firewall, but no Layer 3 devices -- we have a 2816 and 2824 switch.

Thanks again.

7 Posts

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 09:00

That looks good. Also ensure that under CoS settings, CoS Mode is set to enable.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 10:00

Thank you, Daniel.  I will try that tomorrow before start of business.

One additional question -- with the two switches (2816 and 2824) connected together via RJ45 cable, do I need to enable managed mode on the 2824 to do the testing, or will the 2824 in unmanaged mode continue at the default QoS of 0?

My thought is to move the patch cable for the additional test system from its current place on the 2824 (unmanaged) to the 2816 (managed) and then configure the port on the 2816 for QoS 5.

Thanks again,

Anita

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 11:00

I would think that in unmanaged mode the switch would leave the values in place. To be certain that the values are kept, enable managed mode and then enable CoS mode. This will set the switch to trust and keep the values of packets it receives.

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 06:00

Daniel,

Thank you again.  I have made the changes and notified the three people impacted, so I hope to have some good feedback within a couple days.  I will update the case at that point.

Additionally, I currently have the two switches connected via a normal (non-crossover) cable, but read in the documentation that it should be a crossover.  Could you clarify that for me?  If I need to get a crossover cable, I certainly can.

And, the 24-port switch is a 2724, not a 2824.  I had remembered the model number incorrectly, and noticed my mistake this morning when putting the 2724 into managed mode.

Best regards and thank you for all of your help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 07:00

The switches utilize MDIX and do not require a crossover cable for switch to switch connectivity. Not taking MDIX into consideration, a crossover cable would be used for switch to switch, while straight-through would be used for end devices.

The 2724 and 2824 switches are very similar. You should be able to configure it using the same steps as the 2824.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it helped.

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 08:00

Just a quick follow-up -- after making the changes to specific switch port CoS as needed, the sound quality of VOIP calls is much better.  Thank you!

No Events found!