Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2011 09:00

VLAN Setup Question

I have 2 PowerConnect 6224 Stacking Switches setup for a SAN / ESXi environment.  Ports 1-12 on each switch are for the SAN, and ports 13-24 on each switch are for the LAN / Management Network.

I just need to seperate the LAN and SAN traffic with a VLAN.

I created a new VLAN ID#2 called SAN.  I added ports 1-12 on each switch to the SAN VLAN and set the ports to Untagged.  Everything else is still on the Default VLAN #1.

Now ports 1-12 on each switch show F on the Default VLAN and U on the SAN VLAN.  Ports 13-24 on each switch show U on the Default VLAN and F on the SAN VLAN.

Is there anything else I need to do?

31 Posts

November 10th, 2011 11:00

If all your looking to do is segment off the LAN/Management network, That should to the trick.

203 Posts

November 10th, 2011 13:00

I have just the thing for you.  I posted my rework of my 6224 switches with respect to getting them to work for my SAN.  You may find that here:  itforme.wordpress.com/.../reworking-my-powerconnect-6200-switches-for-my-iscsi-san  

However, I (and others) would STRONGLY recommend against sharing your switch stack with your LAN traffic.  Invariably, you will run into problems.  It is best to have that switch fabric for your SAN completely seperated.  I'm betting since you originally wanted to combine the two (LAN and SAN) that you dont' have a very large environment.  Pick up some cheap switches for your LAN, and save the good stuff for your iscsi SAN network.

No Events found!