Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2011 11:00

VLAN and QoS on 3548P switches

We have a couple 3548P switches. I need to separate out the voice and data traffic because of echo issues we are seeing. In addition I am considering creating 2 separate data networks because I have a division that was just split off into its own company and running their own Domain Controller. They are unable to use DHCP because those settings are incorrect for their network needs.

So I am thinking...

Data Network A: 192.168.10.0

Data Network B: 192.168.11.0

Voice Network C: 192.168.12.0

I need to give priority to voice over both data networks. I also need to run 3 separate DHCP servers to service each VLAN. I think that is done with a DHCP Scope ID but not sure.

I am not sure where to start with these Dell switches. I have 2 switches stacked properly and I am in the web interface. Is there a good tutorial on this out there?

Also should I use spanning tree?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

65 Posts

July 7th, 2011 06:00

Most of this work would actually be done on your Firewall/Router, a 3548 does not do these features for you, for routing, DHCP relay, and even possibly DHCP servers you need a firewall or layer 3 switch.

This is what is done on the switch:
QOS: Go to Switch, VoiceVLAN and choose the VLAN you are using for your Voice Network, the switch will be set with default QOS settings for voice, if your vendor requires different you can set it there.

Spanning Tree: Yes, it is best to have spanning tree, for your ports that workstations connect to, enable fast link . (Under STP Port setings)

No Events found!