Highlighted
Jamesmknox
1 Nickel

VLAN for Guest WAP on X1026P

I feel confident that I am just doing something stupid (my wife assures me it would not be the FIRST time), but ...

I have a Spectrum Business cable modem (Arris DG1607A), feeding a single Dell X1026P switch.  Everything else is plugged into the switch as a basic LAN.  I want to add a simple WAP to a port on the switch, with the WAP on a separate VLAN, so that it is isolated from the rest of the LAN.  Simple?  Right?

I created a new VLAN (VLAN2 - everything else is on the default VLAN1), and assigned a port to VLAN2.  Plugged the WAP in, and it links up - but I cannot get anything through.  Can't even get a DHCP from the modem.  If I simply switch the port back to VLAN1, it all works (but without isolation).  So either I am just missing something at the switch (I have tried switching the port from Access to General, PVID from 1 to 2, etc. - can't find any combination that works), or it's the modem that will not allow anything except VLAN1 packets to pass, and that doesn't make sense.

Ideas please???  Thanks...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: VLAN for Guest WAP on X1026P

Hi,

The cable modem might not understand VLAN tags. Try tagging the other devices in vlan 2 and not the connection to the modem. Also you really should have a router between the switch and the modem.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
Jamesmknox
1 Nickel

I have tried setting the Dell switch (VLAN 2) for both tagged and untagged.  Didn't seem to change anything.  The "modem" is an Arris DG1607A, which is a combination modem/router.  No doubt it is one of the cheapest that Spectrum could get away with, but it is a relatively new design.  Having said that, I admit that the very limited User Guide that I found (Spectrum provides nothing, and locks the device) makes no mention of the word VLAN. 

[My problem would also be solved if I could set up a separate VLAN on the modem router, and plug a WAP directly into that.  But it does not appear possible.]

"Tagging the other devices in vlan 2 ..."  Are you talking about setting up a WAP as VLAN 2, rather than on the switch?  A possibility, but the D-Link DWL WAP I was going to use (sitting around on a shelf) likewise does not appear to be VLAN aware.

Thanks ...

0 Kudos
gjaltemba
1 Nickel

@Jamesmknox wrote:

[My problem would also be solved if I could set up a separate VLAN on the modem router, and plug a WAP directly into that.  But it does not appear possible.]

Plugging your WAP or X1026P into an Arris DG1607A would result in the same endpoint. Default setting is subnet 192.168.0.0/24. You need to setup another subnet for guest access.

0 Kudos