Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2020 10:00

VLAN issue

This was all setup prior to my time here. All switches go back to core switch via fiber port. We have an N2048 that will not work with a new VLAN we've added. This VLAN existed on all of our other switch closets previously. For whatever reason, this VLAN was never added to this switch. I imagine there's something I'm missing but googling and reading I haven't found it. One thing I did find is that most of these switches fiber port to the core switch are set to "access" mode. I also see that on the problem switch the fiber port to core switch shows static: U and Current: F for VLAN membership(untagged and forbidden) under the default VLAN 1 only. All other VLANs it shows forbidden. I'm pretty sure this is the meat of the issue however one of our other switches show this same port as forbidden under this same VLAN  but as far as I know the VLAN is working on that switch. This same switch also shows the fiber port to core switch as Static: blank and Current: F.

To sum it up I guess I really have two questions. Suggestions why the VLAN is not working and what I may have missed. 

Can someone explain the "static" and "current" status. I've read the manual and googled but it is still confusing to me.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 13:00

If it is part of a LAG, the LAG settings take preference, but it is better for them to match.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 18th, 2020 14:00

Hi,

Access mode is going to be a single untagged VLAN, it probably should be a trunk or general port to pass all of the VLANs that you need.

26 Posts

May 19th, 2020 13:00

Hello thank you for your reply. I think I've narrowed down how this switch was intended to uplink/trunk back to the core switch. It appears that ports TE 1 and 2 are setup in a LAG. This LAG is configured as a trunk. I didn't catch this as looking at the individual ports in the web interface they are configured as Access. My first thought is I need to configure the individual ports as Trunk as well? Also, TE 1 and 2 are NOT members of any VLAN except VLAN 1(which is not used) according to the VLAN membership detail page. The membership shows current as F and static as blank. This makes me wonder how this switch is even working. We have one VLAN, VLAN 503 setup and clients are working fine. Any ideas how this is able to work going back to the core switch?

I'm also confused by a statement in the manual: " A trunk port is automatically configured as a member of all VLANs, including any newly created VLANs." In my scenario, I've created a new VLAN however the trunk port was not added to it. Suggestions?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 19th, 2020 16:00

If it needs to pass multiple VLANs trunk ports should be used. If it is just one VLAN you probably are fine with an access port. I would add vlan 503 and see if it works.

• 

8.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 09:00

Yes, most likely they are LAGs for redundancy.

26 Posts

If using trunk ports, do we need to setup a LAG? Our other switches the trunk port was setup in a LAG but I'm assuming this was for a failover/redundant link setup as we have two core switches. Primary and a backup.

26 Posts

I edited my last response after you replied I think. Is it likely that the reason the other switch trunk ports are in a LAG is for failover/redundant links to our two core switches? We have a primary and secondary.

• 

8.5K Posts

You don’t have to, but you can if you need the extra bandwidth.

26 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 12:00

You've been very helpful with this. Where I'm getting confused is a port can be set to "trunk" as well as the LAG it's a member of. From the documentation, all members of a LAG parameters must match. On our problem switch, the port is set to Access and the LAG it's a member of is set to trunk. Should the port be set to trunk as well or does it matter? I guess I'm confused on what the expected behavior is regarding this on this Dell switch.

No Events found!