Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2011 03:00

VLAN setup for SAN with management on existing data network

Currently we have an existing data network - 10.10.10.0 (255.255.255.0).

We have a EqualLogic PS4000 and two PowerConnect 6224 switiches in a stack.

I have done the following so far:

enable

configure

spanning-tree mode rstp

flowcontrol

vlan database

vlan 10

vlan 100

exit

interface vlan 1

exit

interface vlan 10

name Management

exit

interface vlan 100

name iSCSI

exit

ip address vlan 10

interface port-channel 1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

exit

interface ethernet 1/g1

channel-group 1 mode auto

exit

interface ethernet 2/g1

channel-group 1 mode auto

exit

interface ethernet 1/g2

exit

interface ethernet 2/g2

exit

interface range ethernet 1/g3-1/g24

switchport access vlan 100

no storm-control unicast

spanning-tree portfast

mtu 9216

exit

interface range ethernet 2/g3-2/g24

switchport access vlan 100

no storm-control unicast

spanning-tree portfast

mtu 9216

exit

exit

copy running-config startup-config

So, what I hope has happened is that ports 1-2 on each switch in the stack can be connected to our existing network to allow me access to the switch's http interface over that network. The remaining ports should be for use by the SAN.

Currently I can't see the switches on our existing network - despite plugging in a network cable to port 1 on switch 1 - which flashes like it's getting used.

I have tried to set an IP address on vlan 10 but I'm told that I can't have routing on the management vlan.

I'm sure I've overlooked something but I'm very new to configuring switches like this!

4 Posts

September 20th, 2011 04:00

Port one seemed to be assigned to VLAN1 which I didn't think I was using. I moved the connection from our existing network in to port 2 - which then gave me access to the web interface where I could see for certain that VLAN10 (management) was on port 2 only on each switch in the stack.

So, I can at least get more visibility of what is happening now which should help going forward.

This effectively closes my issue of not being able to assign an IP address - VLAN1 seems to not allow that, but my VLAN10 does.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2011 04:00

Hi,

Currently, our existing non-SAN network is on 10.10.10.x

I hoped that I'd set the new switches so that ports one and two on each switch could connect to that network and the remaining ports used just for the SAN traffic.

So far I've been connecting to the switch using a serial cable. When I try and see the IP address for the switch it says 0.0.0.0. When I try and set the IP for VLAN10 to something in the 10.10.10.x subnet I'm told that I can't have routing on a management vlan.

Ideally, I want an IP address for the switch on our existing data network so that I can get to the management web site that way. Before I created the two VLANs it did appear on our data network after getting an address from DHCP. Since adding the two VLANS that no longer happens.

67 Posts

September 19th, 2011 04:00

can you give a net topology - would be helpful to understand your connection path.

"Currently I can't see the switches on our existing network - despite plugging in a network cable to port 1 on switch 1"

Are you connecting a server directly into this port to verify you've set up your managment correctly (there are two methods to access your switch - Telnet, GUI).

67 Posts

September 24th, 2011 14:00

First chance I get I'll look over what youve sent (just got back from a long trip).  A quick note on the null ip address (0.0.0.0); I assume you've set the switch inband managment to "ip addresss DHCP".  This return tells you that it did not recieve the DHCP BPDU.   Assign an available static ip address and attempt to do a quick ping to verify your path.  If that works but no DHCP then I suggest you utilize the helper-address feature...  

I'll get back to you on the rest.

No Events found!