Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2011 10:00

iSCSI Settings - how to?

Hey Folks,

We have a number of PowerConnect 6224 switches which are new to us and I need specifics on how to setup and verify the following on each switch:

·         Unicast storm control disabled on every switch that handles iSCSI traffic.

·         Multicast disabled at the switch level for any iSCSI VLANs.

·         Multicast storm control enabled (if available) when multicast cannot disabled.

·         Broadcast disabled at the switch level for any iSCSI VLANs.

·         Broadcast storm control enabled (if available) when broadcast cannot disabled.

·         Disable Spanning Tree (STP or RSTP) on ports which connect directly to end nodes (the server or Compellent controller’s iSCSI ports.

The configuration guide discusses "levels" of storm control such as "storm0control broadcast level" in the command line. According to our SAN vendor there are three types of storm controls that we need to be concerned with (see above). How do I ensure (syntax or gui) that each of these listed are correct? When making any changes such as these to ports does that disconnect or bounce them?

Thanks,

~Steve

909 Posts

January 25th, 2011 12:00

The levels are percentages allowed of the traffic type (not the percentage of suppression).   So zero percent is not allowing any of that traffic type.  100 % allows the traffic type to consume 100% of the bandwidth if present.

Setting them all to 0 is a bad idea and will cause problems in your network.

I suggest you disable storm control for all traffic types (equivalent to level 100) since that appears what you SAN vendor suggests.  The storm-control features default to disabled, so to set them to default:

no storm-control broadcast

no storm-control unicast

no storm-control multicast

909 Posts

January 24th, 2011 12:00

console# show storm-control all

Setting storm control will not bounce ports.

18 Posts

January 24th, 2011 15:00

Thank you for the follow up.

If I'm not mistaken the 'show' command simply does just that show the status of the condition requested. Does entering "storm-control all" at the enable prompt set storm control?

Does that single command cover all of the points listed in my original post?

~Steve

18 Posts

January 25th, 2011 07:00

Thank you, your input is greatly appreciated. One other question. Can you explain the levels issues per command or provide a URL for documentation? I've been unable to find any specifics as to what the levels mean and how they should be used.

Many thanks,

~Steve

909 Posts

January 25th, 2011 07:00

To tell the truth, I did not read your original post thoroughly. 

To set and show storm-control:

console> enable

console# config

console(config)# interface ethernet 1/g1

console(config-if)# storm-control broadcast level 20

console(config-if)# storm-control unicast level 30

console(config-if)# storm-control multicast level 40

console(config-if)# exit

console(config)# exit

console# show storm-control 1/g1

console#show storm-control 1/g24

Bcast   Bcast   Mcast   Mcast   Ucast   Ucast
 Intf   Mode    Level   Mode    Level   Mode    Level
------ ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
1/g1  Enable    20    Enable  40 Enable 30

18 Posts

January 25th, 2011 08:00

I guess the level # are simply percentages of supression. I've not found a Dell reference yet, but Cisco states that a value or level of 100 means no traffic storm control and 0.0 spresses all of that type of traffic.

Give the criteria our SAN vendor outlined (in the original post) I suspect I would need to do the following (correct me if I'm wrong)

for each interface

storm-control broadcase level 0.0
storm-control unicast level 0.0
storm-control multicast level 0.0

~Steve

No Events found!