Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2012 12:00

openmanage network manager does not login to switch

i am using openmanage network manager 5.1 to manage PowerConnect 7048 switches.

i am able to manage/monitor the switches using SNMP without issues.

however when i use telnet/ssh it keeps throwing errors saying "1 did not respond to authentication. please click here for list of devices that did not respond. will attempt to manage these as default devices." 

the document however doesnt say what should be written in the enable ID field.

14 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 02:00

I got this going!!

there was a problem with ssh on my switch. when enabled it is working now

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 31st, 2012 14:00

First and simplest thing is to check that SSH/Telnet is configured and enabled on the switch.

Page 228 starts the process of configuring SSH/Telnet

support.dell.com/.../UG.pdf

I found this information in regards to the enable ID field.

The following are common prerequisites:

Credentials—WBEM credentials have a role in discovering the device. Your system must have

access to the computer using Administrative only credentials. These are the same credentials

as the user installing WBEM on the device.

Telnet / SSH credentials are necessary for other supported applications.

For full functionality, this WBEM device driver requires administrative (root) access. Many

devices may only allow root logins on a local console.

In such cases, configure the Telnet/SSH authentication for these devices to login as a nonroot

user—and, in Authentication Manager, enter su in the Enable User ID field and enter

the root user’s password in Enable User Password in that same authentication. This enables

full device management functionality with root access.

Page 27

support.dell.com/.../WCG_en.pdf

It is always a good idea to keep the firmware up to date, the most recent is 4.2.2.3. Help ensure compatibility with the newest release of management software.

www.dell.com/.../powerconnect-7048

Keep us updated.

Thanks

14 Posts

August 1st, 2012 02:00

thanks for ur reply

ssh telnet and http are enabled in my switch. as i am able to login using telnet to the switch. i am able to login using http (web console) also!!

show run shows the following output:
username "admin" password 3a9849218988fee7220ac49ad92155dd privilege 15 encrypte
d
username "auser" password 3a9849218988fee7010ac49ad92155dd privilege 15 encrypt
ed
username "root" password 3a9849218988fee7234ac49ad4312dd privilege 15 encrypted
line telnet
enable authentication enableList
exit
no iscsi enable
sflow 1 destination owner 1 notimeout
sflow 1 destination 192.168.50.99

console#show authentication methods

Login Authentication Method Lists
---------------------------------
defaultList : none
networkList : local

Enable Authentication Method Lists
----------------------------------
enableList : enable none
enableNetList : enable

Line Login Method List Enable Method List
------- ----------------- ------------------
Console defaultList enableList
Telnet networkList enableList
SSH networkList enableNetList

HTTPS :local
HTTP :local
DOT1X :

am i missing anything? i still face the same issue when i try to discover my switch using telnet/ssh/http

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 1st, 2012 07:00

Was doing some reading, and something we can try is to make an enable password.

Page 249

support.dell.com/.../CLI_UG.pdf

Example

The following example defines password "xxxyyyzzz" to control access to user

and privilege levels.

console(config)# enable password xxxyyyzzz

Then try the connection again.

Thanks

14 Posts

August 1st, 2012 13:00

If i want to use telnet/ssh for a PC7048 switch, do i have to club it with SNMP? will just using telnet not work.

I assigned level 15 to a user admin

So do i still have to enter something in the

Enable ID

Enable Password

sections?

i am able to telnet into the switch from command prompt and from web browser. but simply cannot make this OMNM work with telnet

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 06:00

Thanks for keeping us updated, it is great to you you got things working.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2012 03:00

I'm having the same problem, what did you change on the SSH configuration of the switch to get this working?

Regards

Adrian

2 Posts

November 6th, 2012 23:00

Same problem here, it's a pity that it lacks a good manual and a Dell technical who knows how to use it.

1 Message

January 20th, 2013 15:00

Hello All,

I am in the same situation. PowerConnect 7048 - I can Telnet, SSH and manage via Web interface but no joy on adding it to OpenManage network. Get error..

Did not respond to authentication. I have tried all the PDF's in terms of configuration but no joy. Anyone else have ideas ?

65 Posts

June 4th, 2013 01:00

I have the same problem here. I can't discover my powerconnect in onm. I can ssh go enable but onm can't access to the switch

2 Posts

June 4th, 2013 15:00

We still have no solution, but we have stopt putting time in this project.

I would recommend contacting dell through Twitter @dellcarespro

5 Posts

August 12th, 2013 14:00

All,

The documentation on this software is terrible. Note that by reading a variety of posts, it now makes sense how to allow discovery.

1. Make sure SNMP is configured properly on both the switch and OMNM (or OME). If SNMP is not configured properly, discovery will not happen.

2. Configure SSH authentication methods, users, etc. on the switch.

3. When doing discovery set SNMP as the first method and then SSH as the second method.

After doing the above an "Inspect" was success and then discovery worked fine.

I hope that helps!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 12th, 2013 14:00

Thank you for updating us on how you were able to get this working. I will be sure to bookmark this for any future questions like this.

18 Posts

August 28th, 2013 13:00

I agree.  This product is unecessarily cumbersome.  We use SolarWinds and I can discover multiple devices in 1/4 of the time it has taken me to test this.  That being said if I can get this working I might keep it running for the sake of getting additiional performance data from my F10 switches.

I'm running this on SVR2012.

When I attempt to discover the switch it says it can't login.  I'm discovering with SNMP and Telnet.  We don't have SSH enabled on the switches.  Perhaps it doesn't work without SSH.

At one point I wondered if it required the OS clients in order to login, so I added the following features:

SNMP

Telnet Client

TFTP Client

Didn't fix the problem, but I still need to reboot.  Would like to get this working but not willing to spend too much more time doing so.  Any hints is appreciated.  Network discovery with valid SNMP should be piece of cake.  If this product isn't able to do that there is a design problem.

18 Posts

August 28th, 2013 13:00

I think there is a bug in the telnet client in this product.  I find that when I use the Windows or Putty client I have to disable the CR+LF feature (Use LF instead) or I am not able to login to my S50Ns.  I see in the UG for OMNM 5.3 that this option is available for SSH but not telnet. Page 82 in the manual.

No Events found!