Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2011 01:00

setting up a simple VLAN to Equalolgic SAN

hi folks,

I'm finding out that i really dont know as much as i thought about network configuration. (in fact i know very little in the grand scheme of things)

I have a newly installed Equallogic SAN and 2x powerconnect 6248P switches.

I want to create a simple VLAN either by the web interface or from the CLI.

After much reading and googling my head is a swirl of random information.:emotion-7:

I need to create a network (L3) for the SAN and the switch to communicate on (10.0.0.1) but i also need assumedly to create a gateway to allow the main network (172.19.2.*) and the (10.0.0.1) network to communicate.

The VLAN would then use the first couple of ports g1-g4.

Do i use OSPF or RIP for the routing or am i completely on the wrong track?

Any , ANY help would be really great thanks.  :emotion-1:

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

January 12th, 2011 08:00

Hi, I'm Joe with Dell EqualLogic.  The 6200 series had some limitations with iSCSI, were under load the switch stops passing traffic. .  We believe that this was corrected with the latest switch OS firmware (so ensure you have the latest switch OS firmware installed).  The proper setup for a vlan is found in the user guide for the switch (so I will not go into details here, but maybe someone from the switch group will respond).  The array has some requirements, that are necessary for proper iSCSI traffic load balancing, and performance.   I have attached two documents that explain this.  These should be much easier to understand and digest.  After reviewing these, if you still have questions, please post them here.

Dell_EqualLogic_Configuration_Guide.pdf: http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/866/8863.Dell_5F00_EqualLogic_5F00_Configuration_5F00_Guide.pdf

TR1017-NetworkGuidelines-v3_ISO.pdf: http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/866/6153.TR1017_2D00_NetworkGuidelines_2D00_v3_5F00_ISO.pdf

Regards,

Joe

4 Posts

January 13th, 2011 03:00

I think my lack of understanding comes from how to configure the switch.

I have the SAN configured in 10.0.0.x range and the ports g-g8 in VLAN2.

I have bound 10.0.0.x range tothe vlan.

I have set up ROUTING IP CONFIGURATION interface with 10.0.100 address.

How do i change to Jumbo frames?,  by changing the IP MTU?

How do i connect to the 10.0.0.100 range from the 172.19.2.x network?

I can connect to the SAN management because i have left that address onteh san as 172.19.2.203.

What do i need to configrue to allow my windows server iscsi initiator to connect to the 10.0.0.x range?

Some sort of route but how?

so if i appear a bit vague as my knowledge is patchy in this area but any help really does help..:emotion-1:

4 Posts

January 13th, 2011 04:00

ok so i gleamed this from another document.

Using the Web Interface to Configure VLAN Routing
Use the following screens to perform the same configuration using the Web Interface:
• Switching > VLAN > VLAN Membership. To create the VLANs and specify port participation.
• Switching > VLAN > Port Settings. To set the PVID and VLAN type.
• Routing > VLAN Routing > Configuration. To enable routing on Vlans.
• Routing > IP > Configuration. To enable routing for the switch.
• Routing > IP > Interface Configuration. To configure VLAN IP addresses and subnet masks.

I've setp two vlan's

One called "eqsan" (for my 10.0.0.x) net range and one called "T***r" for our network.(172.19.x.x range)

i've made ports g1-g8 'tagged' members of eqsan and the four gbic ports members of T****r.

I've then gone to Port Settings and set each port accoring to its PVID (the vlan number) and "general" and "admit all".

I then "enabled" IP configuration under Routing.

I've then set an Interface Configuration.

vlan 2 (eqsan) is setup with address 10.0.0.100 and sub of 255.255.255.0

vlan3(T***r) is setup with address 172.19.2.200 and sub of 255.255.0.0 however when i apply i get

"Error! Subnet conflict between specified IP Address and current configuration. All routing interfaces, service ports and network ports must be configured on different subnets"

My very limited understanding is that will create a route between the network but am igoing about this the wrong way or have i entered something wrong perhaps?

any help would be great thanks.

No Events found!