Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2013 10:00

vlans between 2 powerconnect 6224 using XFP modules

Dear friends,

I have 2 powerconnect 6224 switches interconnected using optical fiber and the XFP ports on the back side of the switches.

There is no stack configuration between them.

The distance between both switches is around 500 metres and they both work fine when using the default vlan ( LAN usage )

I have created an vlan using 2 ports on one firewall and I have created the same vlan on the second firewall, but I am unable to see traffic from one vlan going to the other.

I also have tried to configure the ports as trunk but same result.

The vlan works fine in one switch but the traffic is not able to flow to the second switch.

Do you have any idea why is not working ?

Maybe is not posible to have vlans using xfp connections...

Any clue would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks in advance!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 25th, 2013 09:00

The back ports are labeled xg1,2,3,4. So if the connection is being made from xg1 on one switch to xg1 on the other switch. Then you will enter interface 1/xg1 and make the configuration changes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2013 13:00

For the connection between the two 6224 switches, I would suggest placing the XFP port into General mode. Tagging any of the created VLANs, and declaring VLAN 1 as your PVID.

console(config-if)# switchport mode general

console(config-if)# switchport general allowed vlan add 2 tagged

console(config-if)# switchport general pvid 1

console(config-if)# end

For the different VLANs to communicate with each other, there needs to be a switch configured for routing, plus the VLAN routing. If it is one of the 6224 switches that you want to do the VLAN routing, the config would look similar to this.

console#config

console(config)#ip routing

console(config)#interface vlan 2

console(config-if-vlan2)#routing

console(config-if-vlan2)#exit

This is a good post to check out also.

en.community.dell.com/.../19506015.aspx

Thanks

3 Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for your reply, I tried to do that on my switches but the problem is that I do not know how to identify the xfp port that I am using to interconnect both switches.

I have 24ports switches and as far as I know I can configure normal ports ( g1 to g24 ) and SFP ports ( xg1 to xg4 ) but I do not know the name for the 2 xfp ports on the back side to configure general mode.

Can you help me on that please ?

3 Posts

June 26th, 2013 11:00

thanks daniel for you help, it is working really nice!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2013 11:00

Excellent, glad to hear.

No Events found!