Highlighted
squall70
1 Nickel

windows server NLB and switch N1524 configuration

Hello,

I'm looking for the best configuration of a stack N1524 (2 switchs) connected to a NLB Windows Server (2 servers).

I saw that N1524 support IGMP, so i suppose that the stack can be configured properly for NLB in multicast with IGMP Mode.

My first server is connected to the port Gi1/0/1  et the second one to Gi2/0/1.

What is the best way to implement this configuration ? What are the few commands to have a basic configuration ? Is IGMP snooping enabled by default ? Did i have to configure IGMP querier or a bridge Multicast group ?

A lot of questions in my head ...  Thank you for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: windows server NLB and switch N1524 configuration

The N-series switch only supports Unicast NLB, Page 1598: https://dell.to/2pOMOBL

Here is an Microsoft article with a lot of info on NLB deployment: https://bit.ly/2GIT6wm

Hope this info helps gets you pointed in the right direction.

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

0 Kudos
squall70
1 Nickel

Thank you for your help.

I'm always looking for the best configuration. According to Microsoft Article, the simple way is to use NLB Unicast. Since N-series switch only supports Unicast NLB, I chose this type of NLB.

In order to limit NLB flooding, I set one VLAN dedicated to the NLB (VLAN2)  and an other one for management + traffic beetwen my 2 nodes (VLAN1).

But I meet very bad rate (10% of max bandwith)  when I try to copy file from one PC (VLAN1) to Cluster IP or to 1 of the 2 NICs included in the NLB.

If I break the NLB, I recover normal rate (100%).

Is there some parameter I have to check ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

What method are you using for testing/viewing of bandwidth? Can you post up the running config? I would be happy to help look through the switch config for any suggested changes.

Daniel Covey
Dell EMC| Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter:@DellCaresPRO
Download our QRL app:iOS, Android, Windows
Dell Networking Resources

0 Kudos