Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2005 20:00

2200BG Wireless Funnies Drop Connections

Hi all

I'm getting a problem with the wireless connection just dropping for some unknown reason. However on the face of it all appears OK I have the Intel Proset Icon showing green and at 48mbps. I then check the windows "Network Connection" on double clicking the Icon for the wireless connection I'm presented with a Dialog the dialog below:

It is shown with the connection made at the moment, however when it drops into fault the Sent "Screen" lights blue and Sent Packets Increment Up, however, the Received "Screen" does not light up and the Received Packets do not Increment Up.

The only way to reestablish connection is by disconnecting and reconnecting.

I found this: http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm at the intel site. Having followed its kinda cryptic messages I have managed to disable the power save polling.
This did not cure the problem. Initally I thought I was having a Wireless Access point problem, so the router a Netgear DG834G was replaced. This did not cure the problem and it still exists.

I then contacted Dell Support who have this week replaced the Wireless Card in the machine, this has made the problem worse not better! with the connection dropping almost every 10 minutes, sometimes after my third webpage loads!

Does anyone have any ideas what can be causing the problem, the only indication that I get that I have disconnected is that MSN Messenger shows not connected, and the next page I load goes to a 404 error.

It normally happens when the system is on battery, however when its kinda "warmed up" it then seems to work. I'm no novice at this and most things I have tried. I'm lucky living in a rural area there are no other wireless LAN's here and I have also changed the channel a few times.

Any additional Ideas welcomed!

Thanks

24 Posts

September 17th, 2005 14:00

I have broken the seal on the box and opened a Brand New Netgear Router an installed it and I am still getting exactly the same fault.

I have now formatted the hard disc and re-installed the operating system and it still drops the connection - it never used to do it and I cannot understand why it is doing it now. Could it be a setting - its normally when the connection is idle for a short time, regardless of battery or mains.

The Send packets works but nothing is received. Does it on Mains and Battery.

It should just "work" and it used to why it has stopped now is anyones business.

Shunt

774 Posts

September 17th, 2005 15:00

i could just put a bet that it was a microsoft update for a security patch that we get from microsoft. its the only thing i can think of. not sure what kb # it is but i can just put a bet on it.

24 Posts

September 17th, 2005 19:00

Ah that could be it!

If you can remember the number it must be a recent one maybe? last three months. If you can remember what it was that would be Excellent I'll uninstall it. What did it cover?

Thanks

Shunts....

774 Posts

September 17th, 2005 19:00

i dont recall the number. i just stopped all updates . If i knew believe me i would give it out on here so that everyone would know and not have this problem. once again i dont know the number and i could just bet it was an update from previous months

24 Posts

September 17th, 2005 20:00

OK No probs, I'm going through the updates now - it might be worth me wiping the system and trying again, if I did that then I might be able to find which one it is.

If I knew what it related to that would help!:smileyvery-happy:

24 Posts

September 18th, 2005 10:00

It looks like that has done the trick.

I have formatted the machine and not installed any of the later updates, it has not dropped the connection since. I have no idea which update is causing it, any suggestions!

Shunts

24 Posts

September 18th, 2005 18:00

As my problem started around about June/July I have installed all updates except the ones that were issued on 14th June 2005 - There are about 6 in total and I am no longer having a problem

Now just finding which one causes a problem!

Shunts...

24 Posts

September 23rd, 2005 18:00

Grim - its still doing it - even without any updates.

Shunts :smileymad:

774 Posts

September 25th, 2005 00:00

mine started in again this morning. after weeks of no problems i wake up this morning and im dropping again. im fed up. Will probably just buy a linksys card and shove it in the side

24 Posts

September 25th, 2005 00:00

Still happens anyone got any ideas?

Shunts

24 Posts

September 25th, 2005 17:00

I have borrowed a Netgear card from a Friend. I put it in and for the last hour its been connected to my WLAN constantly.

Come to the conclusion that the Intel Hardware or Software is faulty by way of design it would seem. In the UK the Wireless LAN would be deemed "Not fit for purpose"

Shunts...

7.9K Posts

September 25th, 2005 18:00

the card may be broken or it may be an incompatibility with the access point ... after a few years of upgrades, the latest intel drivers have made my card pretty much comparable to any others I use

41 Posts

October 19th, 2005 20:00

This problem is normaly caused by the windows firewall even if you have disabled the windows firewall some features remain enabled go to control panel click on firewall click on the advanced tab then untick all the check boxes I am certain this will fix your problem

Gary

No Events found!