Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2013 21:00

ALIENWARE M14x network wireless problem

hello, i have been having this problem with my wireless network driver. I know this issue was a while back, but I got stuck and got busy. Now I have time to fix it,and I still could not fix it despite searching around google and Dell forums.

The problem: There was a brief period of time where i could not access the internet even though it says im connected(limited connectivity). So i tried uninstalling the network driver and install it again. However, when i uninstalled it, i could not install it back and i could not use wireless. I tried connecting using wire,but i still could not connect to the internet. In the device manager, it also has an exclamation mark on "network controller". 

Network adapters: Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller(NDIS 6.20)

Other Devices: Network Controller : Hardware Ids :

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&CC_0280

Does anyone know the solution to this? I would be glad to provide as much information if anyone is willing to help and guide me on this step by step. thanks

March 10th, 2013 01:00

Hi EpicCheeseBurger,

From the Hardware ID's you have provided it seems you have Intel WiFi Link 1000 wireless card installed on your system. You can install the driver for your wireless card from the link : http://dell.to/15FmKr1

Follow the steps below to install the driver :

• Click 'Download file' to download the file to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation. 
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’. 
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'. 
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK. 
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'. 
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK. 
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart the computer once the installation is finished.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

March 10th, 2013 13:00

I did everything and it worked when i clicked on " repair". thanks a bunch! i guess it was the "run as administrator" that made the difference. I had this driver for the longest time but couldn't install it. I'll test the internet more and see if there're any problems,and i'll post it here.

Thank you Sundeep B.

March 10th, 2013 22:00

Hi EpicCheeseBurger,

I am glad that the issue is fixed. Do get back in case you need any further assistance; I will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

August 19th, 2013 07:00

Hi There, 

Apparently i also have the same issues with Alienware M14x. When i was playing dota 2, suddenly my internet is off even though it is said connected to wif-fi. Im pretty sure there's something wrong with my laptop since my friend who play beside me have no trouble at all (hence its not the internet connection or modem problem). Anyway, I follow all these steps, however after the file unzipped a new error window appear saying "MSI File cannot be found. The setup application will exit". Any advice? Thank you 

Cheers, 

KumbangBaja 

1 Message

September 21st, 2013 21:00

Hello,

I believe I am having the same problem, but on my Alienware 14, however my PS3 and my brother's laptop have no problems with the connectivity. I have not tried the link above yet that helped the other dell user. Maybe there is a different link for the newer Alienware 14.I just bought this laptop and received it by FedEx on 9/20/13 which was yesterday. Please help.

September 24th, 2013 01:00

Hi JoseNexus9,

Alienware 14 is shipped with various wireless card options. You may follow the steps below to find the Hardware Id of network controller and share it here. 

• Press Windows + R button on keybaord
  • Type 'devmgmt.msc' without quotes and press Enter to open Device Manager
  • Expand Network Adapter and Other Devices and share a screenshot
  • You may right click the device under Device Manager and click on Properties -> Details -> Hardware Id

Please reply with the findings. Will take it further from there.

8 Posts

September 27th, 2013 03:00

Hello, 

I also have the same problem with my M17x r3 

My hardware id for the unknoun device are

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&CC_0280

Please help

8 Posts

September 27th, 2013 04:00

Thank you I will try that now.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

Hi Falko19,

From the Hardware ID's you have provided it seems you have Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 wireless card installed on your system. You can install the driver for your wireless card using the link below. 

http://dell.to/16vjhQE 

Please let me know if this helps.

Hi Falko19,

You may try downloading/installing the drivers from manufacturer (Intel) website using Intel Driver Update Utility Wireless Here. Click on Check your system for updates and let the utility automatically install the recommended driver for your wireless card. Once the driver is installed restart the computer and see if it makes any difference. 

Hope this helps.

8 Posts

Thanks, 

Unfortunately that did not work, it extracted, installed then went to a list of commands and then once clicked ok,

exited out and nothing appears changed.

Hi Falko19,

It appears to be Hardware Id of Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 wireless card. You may download/install the wireless driver from Here and see if it helps.

Please reply with the findings.

8 Posts

September 27th, 2013 05:00

cannot use wifi i mean

8 Posts

Well, I did try that and it worked.. Untill the blue error that means my laptops crashed came up and now I can only it in safe mode without networking

8 Posts

Ok, I disabled the driver in safe mode and now I can start windows normally, however my problem still remains that I can use WiFi.
No Events found!