Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2009 00:00

Adding Verizon Broadband to a Mini 10?

I recently purchased a Mini 10 for my wife and when I was configuring the order, like a dummy I thought she would never be interested in the integrated Verizon Broadband option. Yep you guessed it, the first thing out of her mouth when she fired up her shinny new Mini was “does this have built in broadband?” So my question is can I add it after the fact and if so where can I get the hardware and instructions to install it? Thank you for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 08:00

Verizon will give you a USB device when you sign up for their Mobile Broadband service. You do realize that the service is $60/month right?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 09:00

Required Equipment1

PC Card, ExpressCard, USB modem or notebook with Mobile Broadband Built-In

Monthly Access Fee

$39.99

$59.99

Monthly Allowance

250 MB (Overage they Take your House)

5 GB (5,120 MB) (Overage Costs both arms and both legs)

Per MB Rate After Allowance

$0.10

$0.05

One user went "over" and was presented with a $62,000 bill for that month.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/140476

It's an old story, but here we go again: One caller into a CNN TV show sounded
like a man on his very last legs as he explained how a trip to Mexico turned abruptly
expensive. No, "Alberto" wasn't kidnapped and held for ransom by a drug cartel.
He was the victim of his cell phone carrier, who slapped him with a $62,000 bill
after he downloaded a copy of Wall-E to his laptop via his cellular data card.

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bbapccard.html

June 4th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the information, but I am trying to stay away from the external card, I am trying to figure out to install a internal one. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 4th, 2009 13:00

There is currently  No WWAN Option internally for the Mini 10.

It's rumored to be available later.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 10:00

I am buying one, so if you want to hold off and see how it works I will post back my results

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 10:00

Hopefully its not like the Aspire One where the Mini pci socket is missing on models that did not specify that they wanted the wwan card.

If the sockets missing the antenna are probably not there also.

Manufacturer Part# : M387R
Dell Part# : 313-7884 0XM359
Verizon Wireless 5730 internal wwan.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

The MiFi works great I have one right now.  Because you can connect to it via WiFi it means ANY device that has a WiFi adapter can connect to it and get online. So that would mean something like an iTouch can now have Internet literally anywhere

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

Thank you for your help, that would be great if it does work otherwise I think I might go with the Verizon MiFi. 

4 Posts

July 9th, 2009 12:00

My mini did not have antenna or even the socket to install the WWAN card into.  the pads were there but the connector itself was missing.  Should have opened it first before ordering

No Events found!